The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Clear Com TW series

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by artsink, Sep 16, 2018 at 1:09 PM.

1. artsink

artsink Member

Considering purchasing Clear Com TW (Two wire) system to lessen cable management: A and B channels run through a single 3 pin XLR.

Anyone have any experience/reviews/fears to share?

Many thanks

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. microstar

microstar Well-Known Member

Lighting/Sound/Video installation/repair
    Can you provide a link to the specific Clearcom product you're talking about? Their "TW" is a series of adapters that allow integration of walkie-talkies or convert between balanced and unbalanced comm systems. As far as I know, their 2-channel units exclusively use a 6-pin XLR and there is no way to run those 2 channels over one pair of wires (XLR 3-pin). You can break out the 2 pair 6-pin to two 3-pin XLR's but you still need two pair of wires, so you are not eliminating any cables.
    http://www.clearcom.com/upload/download/Datasheets/Encore/RS-702_Beltpack_Datasheet.pdf

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. AudioGreg

AudioGreg Member

The RS-603 and 623 are 2ch and use 3pin XLR cable between belt packs. I'm a much bigger fan of RTS though, and have many BP325 belt packs. We have purchased many of them used at significant savings, they are pretty bulletproof and not much to go wrong. Either way you also need a power supply unit to create your intercom, and you may/not want master stations as well. Either system can be greatly expanded or interfaced to other gear as needed.

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. microstar

microstar Well-Known Member

Lighting/Sound/Video installation/repair
    You are correct of course, my bad. The Clearcom website says the RS-603 and RS-623 are discontinued and replaced by the RS-703.

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. RonaldBeal

RonaldBeal Active Member

I have toured (rock and roll) with CC TW systems for decades. Generally pretty reliable. A little more susceptible to noise (since it is not a balanced signal.) More likely to have noise on CH1 than CH2, so I put all the important stuff on CH2. While those sound like negatives, if you have good wiring, and once you get it set up, it is generally problem free. Touring concerts, we play buildings that have thousands of feet of wiring all over an arena with hundreds of tie in points, and problem days are still few and far between.

Hope this helps.
    RB

RonHebbard likes this.