ClearCom FreeSpeak II, 2-wire power issue

I've been troubleshooting adding a new FreeSpeak II system into our 2-wire ClearCom partyline system, but having issues. The 10-ohm ground resistor in our 704 power supply keeps popping, so we need to figure that out. Leaving the PS-704 out of the system, I'm setting up the FSii as the power supply, but I'm running into another problem. When I plug in belt packs and speaker panels, everything is fine, but when I add the RM-704 remote station, the power indicator lights on the back of the FSii turn off and the nulling button grays out in the CCM. Something about the RM-704 is screwing with the 30V power from the FSii. Any ideas?

Yes, power is enable for the channels I'm using.
Yes, termination is turned on.
Yes, I've checked patching cables, but no, I have not fully checked building cabling.

I've been troubleshooting adding a new FreeSpeak II system into our 2-wire ClearCom partyline system, but having issues. The 10-ohm ground resistor in our 704 power supply keeps popping, so we need to figure that out. Leaving the PS-704 out of the system, I'm setting up the FSii as the power supply, but I'm running into another problem. When I plug in belt packs and speaker panels, everything is fine, but when I add the RM-704 remote station, the power indicator lights on the back of the FSii turn off and the nulling button grays out in the CCM. Something about the RM-704 is screwing with the 30V power from the FSii. Any ideas?

Yes, power is enable for the channels I'm using.
Yes, termination is turned on.
Yes, I've checked patching cables, but no, I have not fully checked building cabling.
I've used a very similar setup and was involved with setting it up, but it's been a couple of years since I last worked on it, so my memory of exactly how it worked best is hazy. First, try setting the system up with the configuration you want to use, but without patching through any permanent wiring. That will tell you if there's a problem somewhere in the building infrastructure, which a whole different issue. Next, don't connect power cable of the RM704 – it should (IIRC) power up from the FSII base. Again, memory is a little hazy, but I recall having being surprised when the entire system powered up from the FSII base, including the SB704, before I'd plugged them in an turned them on.

Sorry for the delayed response. I finally discovered the FSii cannot power our entire 2-wire system. It only outputs 800mA per channel pair. So A/B has 800mA and C/D has 800mA. The PS704 has 1.2A per channel. Seems I was overloading the output of the FSii, which is why the power kept turning off. Part of that problem was a long, extended run to 2 wall panels in the back of the building.
Either way, now that I've disconnected unnecessary stations, the FSii and the 2-wire system won't talk to each other....
We are waiting on our PS-704 to come back from repair. I think once we receive that, we'll start over with the setup. Hopefully, we'll figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back