ClearCom Lifespan

TheatreCR

Hello!
TLDR: What is the projected life expectancy of NEW ClearCom Equipment? Specifically FreeSpeakII components and the Arcadia system?

We are planning on undergoing a major overhaul of our com system in the next 3-5 years and we'll be putting in ClearComs whole building Arcadia system. We currently have an HME DX200 as our wireless with a BS704 tying all our wired coms together. This current system has been experiencing some difficulties lately and we are looking to fix or replace it sooner than when we do our big overhaul. I've been dancing around with our executive director about how much different solutions would cost and what benefits there are with each...
A: Apply a band-aid fix...Basically get a few new components that will help extend the life of the system. The cheapest option, but will become defunct.
B: Upgrade current system...Get a new DX410 and the beltpacks for it. Basically replace current system with this. This base station wouldn't connect to the Arcadia system down the road, and would become defunct.
C: invest in Arcadia right away...Get the Arcadia base station and enough components to replace our current system. Everything would then just fit in with the system when we upgrade everything else in a few years. Most expensive.

So, her question comes down to trying to balance out upfront cost with life expectancy so she can get a real "yearly" cost moving forward. So, my question is, based on everyone's experience with ClearCom's equipment, what is the life expectancy of some of these components?
Thank you much,
Ben

Why is arcadia the end goal?
It was recommended to go to a full building system since we will have 3 performance spaces in the near future and the programmability of the system is attractive. We currently don't have a system at all in our black box, so having one system where all components are transferable seems to make sense.
ClearCom was recommended because of reliability. ROAMeo was also mentioned, but I just chose to pursue info on clearcom because it's what we currently have

I know you specified *new* Clearcoms, but I can relate that I've got a system that's circa 1995 that's still being actively used, with several original packs/headsets. A few have failed, mics or ear piece goes out, etc. I've bought a few newer ones over the years and I would say the build quality (barring those blue ones they used for a while) is on par with the 90's stuff.

Reactions: Les
It was recommended to go to a full building system since we will have 3 performance spaces in the near future and the programmability of the system is attractive. We currently don't have a system at all in our black box, so having one system where all components are transferable seems to make sense.
ClearCom was recommended because of reliability. ROAMeo was also mentioned, but I just chose to pursue info on clearcom because it's what we currently have
Who recommended it and did they tell you how many dollars you're looking at? You're going to have base stations, beltpacks, and headsets in any system. I don't think you're going to like the price tag of arcadia, and certainly doubt you'll need any of the features that set it apart from a basic system.

Who recommended it and did they tell you how many dollars you're looking at? You're going to have base stations, beltpacks, and headsets in any system. I don't think you're going to like the price tag of arcadia, and certainly doubt you'll need any of the features that set it apart from a basic system.
Adding to this -- $75-125k would be my guess by the time you cover everything required and get it installed. Depending on the condition of your existing hardwired infrastructure and wired components, it could be even higher.

32-port base station - $14,000
Wireless beltpacks and headsets - $2200/ea x 12 = $26,400 (for the FSII beltpacks -- more yet for the FSE version)
Antennas - $1800/ea, Qty 6 = $10,800
Chargers, batteries, etc.
Cabling
Programming & system setup labor
Other components in your system needing to be upgraded or replaced.

Really have to ask yourself and your team if it's really necessary that all 3 performance spaces be linked together for the equivalent cost of 50-60 LED profile fixtures or 140 LED wash fixtures.

Adding to this -- $75-125k would be my guess by the time you cover everything required and get it installed. Depending on the condition of your existing hardwired infrastructure and wired components, it could be even higher.

32-port base station - $14,000
Wireless beltpacks and headsets - $2200/ea x 12 = $26,400 (for the FSII beltpacks -- more yet for the FSE version)
Antennas - $1800/ea, Qty 6 = $10,800
Chargers, batteries, etc.
Cabling
Programming & system setup labor
Other components in your system needing to be upgraded or replaced.

Really have to ask yourself and your team if it's really necessary that all 3 performance spaces be linked together for the equivalent cost of 50-60 LED profile fixtures or 140 LED wash fixtures.
Agreed that it will come with a hefty price tag. As mentioned, we're planning on a major expansion, but I didn't mention that this is only a small portion of the expansion. We're still in the information gathering phase for all of this, but com system became a more immediate need and we were just looking ahead to see if investing in a few components of what will ultimately be our system is the way to go. Based on research and quotes from vendors, I think we are leaning away from investing in Arcadia right now and upgrading to the DX410 in our main space. If we do go Arcadia route later, this DX410 may travel back and forth to our offsite venue. We may decide later on that funds are more necessary elsewhere and pare back on the "whole building" plan.
Yes, we know it's going to be really expensive to go this route, but I'm still wondering about an estimate on lifespan. I suppose a number is hard to estimate since their newer things haven't been out for a while.

Agreed that it will come with a hefty price tag. As mentioned, we're planning on a major expansion, but I didn't mention that this is only a small portion of the expansion. We're still in the information gathering phase for all of this, but com system became a more immediate need and we were just looking ahead to see if investing in a few components of what will ultimately be our system is the way to go. Based on research and quotes from vendors, I think we are leaning away from investing in Arcadia right now and upgrading to the DX410 in our main space. If we do go Arcadia route later, this DX410 may travel back and forth to our offsite venue. We may decide later on that funds are more necessary elsewhere and pare back on the "whole building" plan.
Yes, we know it's going to be really expensive to go this route, but I'm still wondering about an estimate on lifespan. I suppose a number is hard to estimate since their newer things haven't been out for a while.
I'll play The Devil here...

What current or anticipated use of the entire facility requires the facility to provide a comprehensive, building-wide, matrix intercom system on a frequent basis?

I ask because I'm one of the A1s at my Performing Arts Center with 3 auditoriums (600-5000 capacity) and 2 trade show halls. The only shows or events that require the kind of coverage you are planning BRING THIS CAPABILITY with them. I'd assert that 90% of the PACs use-hours do not require this wireless capability at all, let alone expect the venue to provide it. And frankly having 4 working channels of party line, hard wired intercom in each of the various halls and auditoria of your venue, with tie lines between the auditoriums, would serve the vast majority of day to day intercom needs. I'd buy a base station and 8 packs of FS II and use them as and where needed. Rent more for the occasions where the venue is required to provide them, and add the hire fee (plus a mark up) to the auditorium rental invoice. The venue should not be subsidizing individual shows or events that have extraordinary needs (unless that's the purpose of the venue, in which case I have some thoughts about stewardship of resources).

Looking at the comparison Mike N provided, I'd be asking the same or harder questions. $100k of intercom could buy nice mixing consoles, a locker full of good microphones, or the services of an acoustician (with change back), all of which would provide a daily benefit to a venue.

We put in FSII about 4 years ago now -- you can find my updated review elsewhere here on the Booth.

We've had a couple packs that needed talk-button repair, and we're starting to rotate through new batteries, but that's pretty much been it. They Just Work. All the time.

Worth every penny of twenty grand, for us.

Install a basic party line system with a patch panel. I have 8 channels in my building, but everything stays on one channel or I separate each room into its own channel. Wireless isn't really even needed unless you have a demand for it now. Com systems get abused. Don't invest in a system designed for TV studios or to launch astronauts... its simply not needed. My clearcom base station and all the remote stations are original to the building... 1978 install... still supported... still work... still work with road co. gear that rolls in. Digital is cool, but its a huge money suck.

Not mentioned, as the OP is from my old house, the current system is only 12 years old. Repair and patching as needed is probably the best cost option. Especially since I've never seen a BB show there that had more than five crew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back