ClearCom RM-440 with problems

TimMc

Premium Member
Apparently Mark, at Clear Com, is the guy who knows where all the bodies are buried on the PL line of gear... and he's due back from vacay tomorrow. So hopefully I'll hear from him this week.

If anyone has someone else's bench to refer me to (I know my limits :)), let me know. SEAL in Orlando still have a bench?
Just for giggles, try reseating the ribbon cables. If you've got some De-Oxit, a little on a q-tip to clean the pin headers would be a nice touch.

Reactions: RonHebbard

Jay Ashworth

Just for giggles, try reseating the ribbon cables. If you've got some De-Oxit, a little on a q-tip to clean the pin headers would be a nice touch.
I'm proud to say I'm ahead of you - I took my can of D5 to the shop with me and sprayed some on those spots on the back of the switchboard that looked like they were leftover flux, and I pulled each end of each ribbon cable off and sprayed some inside the connector and then pushed them back on and worked them a little bit. Didn't have any Q-tips.

Sadly, it didn't help.

Jay Ashworth

Mark got right back to me today, modulo time zones, and says *there's a Clearcom/RTS mode switch* on there somewhere, which might be set wrong. That'd just about do it, yeah. Checking later.

Don't you love a good saga? :)

themuzicman

Page 18 of the document proper (like printed in the corner)- Check out the J2 jumper situation...grasping at straws but it's worth a look!

I don't remember the RM-440 having RTS/CC options on the insides, doesn't mean it doesn't exist though, it's just not a feature I'd touch too much...if there is you'll have to let us know, that's a useful bit of knowledge and I can't seem to coax a ton of info on the internal jumper settings of the RM-440 out of Google tonight.

Jay Ashworth

And while I thank you for the link to the service manual, they didn't scan the stuff with nearly high enough black and white resolution; it's almost impossible to read a bunch of the important detail...

themuzicman

And while I thank you for the link to the service manual, they didn't scan the stuff with nearly high enough black and white resolution; it's almost impossible to read a bunch of the important detail...
This One looks a little better? Sorry! I literally just looked at the title page, and then swiped really fast until I saw a circuit diagram and went, "ok, looks good!". Your friend is onto something with the FS-II-Base-II, that seems like a likely culprit.

TimMc

Premium Member
I do not think all of the issues Jay is having can be laid at the CC/RTS/Telex switch.

Reactions: RonHebbard

TimMc

Premium Member

Jay Ashworth

It was. I had thought I noted an unusual amount of time during which one could edit one's comments, by comparison to previous behavior, but I don't see it now...

Jay Ashworth

I did, finally, get to plug this into our (1970's? era) CS-100 power supply, and the behaviour, while a bit more predictable and repeatable, is still broken. I'm going to try to get video of it over the weekend -- probably between my Sat mat and Sat nite shows, when I have a 3 hour break -- and post a Dropbox link to it. It's weird...

Users who are viewing this thread