ClearCom RM-440 with problems

Apparently Mark, at Clear Com, is the guy who knows where all the bodies are buried on the PL line of gear... and he's due back from vacay tomorrow. So hopefully I'll hear from him this week.

If anyone has someone else's bench to refer me to (I know my limits :)), let me know. SEAL in Orlando still have a bench?
Just for giggles, try reseating the ribbon cables. If you've got some De-Oxit, a little on a q-tip to clean the pin headers would be a nice touch.

Just for giggles, try reseating the ribbon cables. If you've got some De-Oxit, a little on a q-tip to clean the pin headers would be a nice touch.
I'm proud to say I'm ahead of you - I took my can of D5 to the shop with me and sprayed some on those spots on the back of the switchboard that looked like they were leftover flux, and I pulled each end of each ribbon cable off and sprayed some inside the connector and then pushed them back on and worked them a little bit. Didn't have any Q-tips.

Sadly, it didn't help.

Page 18 of the document proper (like printed in the corner)- Check out the J2 jumper situation...grasping at straws but it's worth a look!

I don't remember the RM-440 having RTS/CC options on the insides, doesn't mean it doesn't exist though, it's just not a feature I'd touch too much...if there is you'll have to let us know, that's a useful bit of knowledge and I can't seem to coax a ton of info on the internal jumper settings of the RM-440 out of Google tonight.

And while I thank you for the link to the service manual, they didn't scan the stuff with nearly high enough black and white resolution; it's almost impossible to read a bunch of the important detail...

And while I thank you for the link to the service manual, they didn't scan the stuff with nearly high enough black and white resolution; it's almost impossible to read a bunch of the important detail...

This One looks a little better? Sorry! I literally just looked at the title page, and then swiped really fast until I saw a circuit diagram and went, "ok, looks good!". Your friend is onto something with the FS-II-Base-II, that seems like a likely culprit.

I do not think all of the issues Jay is having can be laid at the CC/RTS/Telex switch.

Me neither, Tim, though I do propose to attach it to this CS-100 I brought home who's foibles I'm well familiar with, and see what happens then.

I don't think it's impossible someone left the J2 jumper in test mode, either... :)

It was. I had thought I noted an unusual amount of time during which one could edit one's comments, by comparison to previous behavior, but I don't see it now...

I did, finally, get to plug this into our (1970's? era) CS-100 power supply, and the behaviour, while a bit more predictable and repeatable, is still broken. I'm going to try to get video of it over the weekend -- probably between my Sat mat and Sat nite shows, when I have a 3 hour break -- and post a Dropbox link to it. It's weird...

Jay, did you ever get any resolution to your incommunicado intercoms?

I haven't yet. The world closed in on me; the times I'm in the building with the necessary test gear, I haven't had much free time. Thanks for checking back in on it though, Tim. Will advise.

I never heard *anything* back from PWS, as it happens. The semester is barreling down on me, but I have a couple months to get this looked at now, so I'll be reheating it in the next week or two. More when I know more.

In theory, I'll be in the building to test-build this semester's broadcast desk Friday week; testing the box and getting some video will be on my checklist. Yes, I'm actually going to have a checklist(!).

Well, I sure can pick 'em.

I pulled the unit off the shelf and hooked it back up today, and ... everything seems to work, with a couple exceptions:

I can get receive audio, off multiple channels (I tested A, B, and C, one at a time) through the speaker, with that same "turn the volume too far down and you get loud annoying static instead of audio" problem.

But I can't get any receive audio in the headset, regardless of switch settings, not even the static. This is my personal PH-88 carry headset; it works on everything else, including our house PL, which I used it on after this testing.

Talk, listen and call buttons work as far as I can test them: call and talk send the relevant signals to a beltpack attached to my power supply, from the headset mic. The appropriate buttons latch in the appropriate ways. Listen will track talk, and so will call, with the relevant dip switches enabled -- I've disabled all of them for regular use.

So I've gone from about 25% functional to 90%. Now to figure out why the headset receive audio is borked.

(Apparently, sitting in a theatre closed with nuclear powered airconditioning -- our campus has a central chiller plant that's about 50' square, and has to be 200-400 tons, if not more -- was good for it. :)

Last edited:
[ folo ]

I never did get this working, but I wired the camera positions to the C channel on our FreeSpeak II, and just used a wireless pack to do the directing I needed to do.

And the chiller plant is *3400* tons of Trane.

I may get back to it at some point...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back