Clevis Vs. Shackle Vs. Clevis . . . PLEASE define . . .


Well-Known Member
Jan 30, 2010
Clayton NY 13624
I apologize to Curtis as what he suggest does seem suitable for agriculture. Take a look at this data sheet but the key part is a quote from a DOE publication:

"Shackles are primarily used in construction, rigging and lifting. A clevis is used in less demanding applications such as farming and towing."

So both right - just don't use a (farm) clevis in my stage rigging - shackles only - and specifically anchor shackles with screw pins please.


  • Like
Reactions: RonHebbard


Active Member
Jan 30, 2016
Honestly, for something I'd be visually able to inspect while in use(and with load ratings), I'd prefer a twisted clevis, as it's got a built in weakness / obvious visual indicator of deformation (twist wouldn't be at 90deg if any deformation.)

I rarely do any real rigging as the 1 show I do a year, I'm only handling lighting. I have been known to look at what their doing, say no, and hand over the 5000lb BS carabiner I use for my keys(I had no input, but they were suspending a student a couple feet over a bed... using hardware store grade, unrated hardware. I've seen those carabiners open up before...)

Well you have me interested Toodles. I thought Clevis was just an old term for Shackle, possibly a brand name from back in the day.

@porkchop would be another good person to call out.
That's what I've always understood...
Well, in my world, this has always been a clevis. But that doesn't stop the current employer from publishing internal documents calling a clevis pin a "detent pin". And then a shackle is a shackle.
The detent pin in that picture is a bolt. a Detent pin has a spring powered ball bearing in the side at the end to retain it... Think of the socket retaining bump on a ratchet, that's a ball detent.