• Believe it or not, this is the fifth major update of ControlBooth in the past 16 years. This new version is more mobile friendly, and brings the site up to more modern standards. There will be more features rolling out soon, but the core of the site is done.

Clevis Vs. Shackle Vs. Clevis . . . PLEASE define . . .

BillConnerFASTC

I apologize to Curtis as what he suggest does seem suitable for agriculture. Take a look at this data sheet but the key part is a quote from a DOE publication:

"Shackles are primarily used in construction, rigging and lifting. A clevis is used in less demanding applications such as farming and towing."

So both right - just don't use a (farm) clevis in my stage rigging - shackles only - and specifically anchor shackles with screw pins please.

Attachments

Reactions: RonHebbard

Ravenbar

Honestly, for something I'd be visually able to inspect while in use(and with load ratings), I'd prefer a twisted clevis, as it's got a built in weakness / obvious visual indicator of deformation (twist wouldn't be at 90deg if any deformation.)

I rarely do any real rigging as the 1 show I do a year, I'm only handling lighting. I have been known to look at what their doing, say no, and hand over the 5000lb BS carabiner I use for my keys(I had no input, but they were suspending a student a couple feet over a bed... using hardware store grade, unrated hardware. I've seen those carabiners open up before...)

Well you have me interested Toodles. I thought Clevis was just an old term for Shackle, possibly a brand name from back in the day.

@porkchop would be another good person to call out.
That's what I've always understood...
Well, in my world, this has always been a clevis. But that doesn't stop the current employer from publishing internal documents calling a clevis pin a "detent pin". And then a shackle is a shackle.
The detent pin in that picture is a bolt. a Detent pin has a spring powered ball bearing in the side at the end to retain it... Think of the socket retaining bump on a ratchet, that's a ball detent.