Clevis Vs. Shackle Vs. Clevis . . . PLEASE define . . .

I didn't feel like getting up in the middle of the night to shoot this so I waited til this morning.

View attachment 14957

We just call it a hookup for our tractor but I guess it has a real name 'clevis'. For those interested this is our spreader hookup. The ridden wagons and hay wagons have the same hookup as well.

And you can back up with that, right, so the clevis is in compression?

The unused "ring" to the right - wouldn't that be for a pintel hitch?

Correct you can backup with it and it will do pretty much a 90. Not recommended as you could snap the PTO but things have happened where it's been close.

What ring to the right?

The ball in the bottom left is part of our three point hitch for our chopper and grader.

I thought Clevis was just another term for 'decolletage'.

:dance:
Maybe Clevii are Levi's for Clever people?
Not being clever, I wouldn't know.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Correct you can backup with it and it will do pretty much a 90. Not recommended as you could snap the PTO but things have happened where it's been close.

What ring to the right?

The ball in the bottom left is part of our three point hitch for our chopper and grader.

I did mena lower left but I get it now. I did once upon a time, when Toodles was a wee boy, work on a farm, drove tractors, shoveled BFM (bovine fecal matter), etc. Some things don't change much.

I'll get a picture of the full rear end for ya after the show.

Working here I've learned to drive the equipment but try to not get into dealing with the poop stuff. Gotta draw a line somewhere.

I did once upon a time work on a farm, drove tractors, shoveled BFM (Bovine Fecal Matter), etc. Some things don't change much.
Perhaps the major change is you get paid more for it?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

On a more serious note:
Etymology[edit]

First attested in 1590s. Origin unknown; probably derived from the verb "to cleave". If so, the word ultimately may stem from Scandinavian: compare Old Norse kljufa (to split).
Noun[edit]

proxy.php

Wikipedia has an article on:
Clevis fastener
clevis
(plural clevises)

clevis
  1. A U-shaped coupling having holes at each end, through which a bolt is run; used especially to fit attachments to a tractor or other vehicle as it allows a degree of rotation about the bolt.

I'll get a picture of the full rear end for ya after the show.

Working here I've learned to drive the equipment but try to not get into dealing with the poop stuff. Gotta draw a line somewhere.
You can get into more than enough "poop" right here on CB.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

I did mena lower left but I get it now. I did once upon a time, when Toodles was a wee boy, work on a farm, drove tractors, shoveled BFM (bovine fecal matter), etc. Some things don't change much.

Here ya go.

IMG_2017.JPG

Yeah - I got it as soon as you said what it was for. I think I called it a three point hitch. Mowing machine - in antique terms at least. Something like this with a sickle bar:

proxy.php

Gotta go with Bill. The etymology of the word 'Clevis' is from 'Cleave' to make a split through. A clevis pin, ties together the sides of the Cleaved are or, the clevis.

Edit: Oh, except the pin in a shackle is, technically, still referred to as a "clevis pin" as it spans the Cleave.

Last edited:
A clevis is a pin you can lock in place. A shackle has a clevis. A clevis is NOT a shackle, but a shackle has to have a clevis pin to work. I sail, we use a LOT of clevis's to attach stays etc on the boats, often at the end of a turnbuckle.

Having also grown up building and racing sailboats, I would respectfully disagree that it's just the pin. You can look though a West Marines catalog and find many U shaped objects called a Clevis, with and without a Clevis Pin.

Having also grown up building and racing sailboats, I would respectfully disagree that it's just the pin. You can look though a West Marines catalog and find many U shaped objects called a Clevis, with and without a Clevis Pin.

I stand corrected. A simple search.. clevis----"a U-shaped or forked metal connector within which another part can be fastened by means of a bolt or pin passing through the ends of the connector."

I grew up on a farm, so we used different terms. Here is the actual breakdown on the most universal terms I have found:

The Shackle is the whole thing and applies to a variety of terms, including a verb (I shackled this to that) or a noun referring to any one of several means of attaching two things together via some form of yoke or basket and some form of retaining pin or bolt. At it's most base level, the Clevis is the retaining element, the Basket or Yoke is the connector, and the Shackle is the whole kit.

When attaching an implement to a tractor with the typical method, you slide the yoke or basket over the drawbar and insert a Clevis pin which makes the whole apparatus a shackle.

So to be plain, the Shackle is the method, and the item pictured below (in theater) is usually called a Shackle. Much like calling a 3/8" grade 8 bolt a "fastener." It's a bit of a generic name. The real name for what is pictured below first is a Clevis-and-yoke Shackle. In truth, a quicklink (threaded chain link) is a "shackle," but not rated for rigging. In theater terms, calling the whole thing a Clevis is less accurate since the clevis is just the pin part.

Things get tricky when you talk about threaded versions where the basket has either male or female threads... for instance, a turnbuckle like the second picture has what appears to be a Clevis Shackle on the end, but because it is a threaded fastener, they are commonly referred to as "jaws." The retaining pin is still called a Clevis and can be either a slip-fit pin with a cotter key, wire, or other retention device, a bolt and nut, or one side of the jaw may be threaded and the clevis itself is threaded. In that order, they are usually called Clevis Pin, Clevis bolt, or clevis screw.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 3,305
  • buckle.png
    buckle.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 663
What you say may be true on a farm, but in my experience, not so much on a stage, and will just confuse communication.

I believe even on a farm the clevis is not the pin or bolt as your second illustration indicates. The pin can be called a clevis pin, but not just a clevis.

Everyone in rigging understands what a jaw-jaw turnbuckle is, or a an eye-jaw. Call it a clevis clevis turnbuckle (or shackle shackle turnbuckle) and I think you'll just confuse the situation.

And unlike the clevis or "U-shaped coupling having holes at each end", a shackle (and a turnbuckle) is useless for compressive loads. I've had good luck backing a load on a wagon attached to a tractor with clevis and pin, not such good luck pushing a load with a lift line with turnbuckle and shackle.

On the other hand, google clevis on a farm and I get:

proxy.php

So maybe no difference to some in a multicultural world. (farm hands and stage hands?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back