CM Lodestar External Chain Guide

DuckJordan

Touring IATSE Member
Hey all, looking to get some more of these but have lost the part numbers and sourcing of them attached are the image of this, it attaches to the top of the motor and guides the chain into the motor housing (preventing kinking and saving the chain from rubbing on the housing while in the case).

Attachments

• IMG_20190822_113721.jpg
    IMG_20190822_113721.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_20190822_113725.jpg
    IMG_20190822_113725.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_20190822_113730.jpg
    IMG_20190822_113730.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 338
My motor guy shuddered when I showed him those. CM has put out a bulletin for what they're shipping as standard now.

http://cm-et.com/Public/50354/Lodestar External Chain Plate Technical Bulletin.pdf

https://shopmtn.com/search?q=chain+plate+kit

And that's the link to mountain for the kit for them. Apparently your external guides can be installed only on a pretty small subset of motors, and there's the chance that the chain can acquire a quarter turn in between the guide and the motor body. Our newer motors all have the external steel plate, and we're working on retrofitting them into all our old motors.

It seems to be for our motors, we have 4 of them of the exact same design. The plate is nice however we were hoping for a solution with these as they are much easier to install. I'll Check with our CM tech, as well as read through their bulletin. I'm not sure how they can add a twist in the chain as when we test fit on one of ours it actually kept the chain from getting twisted before entering the motor casing.

Edit:
To note, Our motors are 2011 purchase CM Lodestar Classics Large frame so we'd need the V2 according to the Bulletin.

Last edited:
So looking through some boxes during this time we found the original bags, CM Chain guide Kit Code 00000561. So its a genuine CM part for the motors. I can't find any information on their website however.

If in doubt, contact CM directly. They're also very active and responsive over at the CM Riggers Forum group on Facebook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back