The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

CNC for Scenery and whatnot.

Discussion in 'Scenery, Props, and Rigging' started by MHSTech, Aug 28, 2008.

1. MHSTech

MHSTech Active Member

Has anybody ever used any kind of CNC machine to make props or scenery? I know it's expensive, but there are some people with some large operations on here and maybe they can afford it.

It's worth your time to check out this gallery. They have done some pretty spectacular work.

props

2. ScaredOfHeightsLD

ScaredOfHeightsLD Active Member

We've got one here at CMU. I have yet to use it, being a freshman, but I have seen some of the products it has created and its simply amazing.

3. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

CMU has a CNC router, I saw it when we were there for ACTF last year, it was awesome.

Oh, we do have someone from CMU on here!

4. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    There have been many a time that I have wished for a CNC machine. A Former employer of mine has a CNC router table that I was all hot on using to cut out a mullion and minton pattern on. I did a hard "back drop" once that was 1/4" luan cut out in a pattern of a forrest believe me my Carps would have liked nothing better than if I had had a CNC machine. As it was they spent days slaving over a roto-zip. There are a billion places I would have liked to have one, but they are nothing that a lot of time and labor money can't replace.....:rolleyes:

5. TimMiller

TimMiller Well-Known Member

I have cut out plywood on our waterjet. I wish we had a mill so i could try making my own gobos. the waterjet could do it, just the material is so small, i'm worried about it falling through, i guess unless i leave it attached to the sheet. I wonder how gobo companies do it?

6. bobgaggle

bobgaggle Well-Known Member

Shop Foreman
    yeah CMU can afford it...so freakin expensive. I didn't know anyone on CB went there. I'm right down the road at Point Park U.