Coastal Carolina University?

Dovahkiin

I just got back from the North Texas Drama Auditions the other day and I'm trying to learn more about some of the colleges that interested me. Does anybody know anything about Coastal Carolina? It doesn't look like CB has any members from there. The person I talked to told me that their department had its first class of graduating seniors this past year so they're program is pretty young. He also said they only accept around eight technicians a year. Should any of this be raising a red flag?

A young program neither says anything bad or good about said deparTmnet, only that they are just getting off the ground. Did you look at any schools in Texas at all. Im from san antonio and have my BA in theatre arts from UIW.

I have actually worked with several people of varying affiliations with Coastal Carolina. Their Chair, Ken Martin, is an excellent scenic designer and mentor for his students. Our scenic charge graduated from there. Several interns (that were worth well more than their modest stipend) acted in and ran shows. Our resident scenic designer and props master has taught there, and one of our lighting and sound designers is teaching a web based course. One of our costume shop staff is currently subbing as the costume shop manager. I respect and learn (even from the interns) from all of them.

I have actually worked with several people of varying affiliations with Coastal Carolina. Their Chair, Ken Martin, is an excellent scenic designer and mentor for his students. Our scenic charge graduated from there. Several interns (that were worth well more than their modest stipend) acted in and ran shows. Our resident scenic designer and props master has taught there, and one of our lighting and sound designers is teaching a web based course. One of our costume shop staff is currently subbing as the costume shop manager. I respect and learn (even from the interns) from all of them.

Wow, seems like their program is just as good as he made it sound.

A young program neither says anything bad or good about said deparTmnet, only that they are just getting off the ground. Did you look at any schools in Texas at all. Im from san antonio and have my BA in theatre arts from UIW.

I actually have a portfolio review with Texas Wesleyan coming up. Other than that, my top two picks are in Oklahoma. I really love San Antonio but I never hear anything from or about colleges there. I honestly thought UIW was in Ft Worth :oops:

I don't know about other colleges in that area, but UIW didn't seem too interested in recruiting technicians when they were at NTDA.

I believe there may be a catholic high school in the DFW area that is affiliated with the sisters of charity of UIW. I have herd good things about Texas Wesleyan but have never worked with any of their grads. I have worked with grads for OU, Im assuming that's what your referring to when you wrote Oklahoma. They were all pretty sharp, two lighting guys and a prop guy. They seem to have a very intensive but rewarding program as far as being able to get your hands really dirty while there. Which as an undergrad I think is the most important thing, you need to understand the theory but also have the opportunity to apply it in a situation where your job is not at risk.

It has been a while since I graduated from UIW, I know there have been a lot of changes there and that the TD, who was the main reason I went there, will be retiring within the next two years, he's worked there for over 40 years so its about that time he's in his mid 60's now. Theres also Trinity in SA but its uber expensive, i know there main design professor is a member of United Scenic Artists. I would also highly recommend taking a look at SMU, yes its very expensive but they have an awesome theatrical technology undergrad program. I interviewed there for a gig many years ago and was very impressed by all the technology available to students and how hands on it was, the draw back is again very expensive.

To my knowledge there were a lot of really good programs back in TX when I was in high school and in college that has kinda gone down hill in the past few years, mainly from faculty retiring or moving on to other gigs. Keep your options open and when it comes down to it my advice, go for whom ever gives you the most money. The way I look at it your not going to learn everything in 4 years go somewhere that wont give you 90,000 in debt and then hustle to get gigs after college, especially those that can give you skills to build on from what you learned in college..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back