COB vs. regular LEDs

dpak

Perhaps this is a complete newb question, but I'm not certain about COB fixtures. I'm looking at getting 2 Chuavet Rogue R2 washes for the stage, but Elation has the Fuze Wash 350 which has about the same specs (zoom and LUX are very similar) for $300 more. Is there any functional difference between a COB and "regular" LEDs? Both would work well for the theater, so is it worth spending the extra money? (And if it matters, $2000 per fixture is about the limit of my budget.)

Last edited:
While I haven't used a lot of COB fixtures, with the few par style COB fixtures I've played with, the only real positive over traditional quads seemed to be the homogenized source.

The Rogue washes are very popular and well spoken for, even for touring situations, the Fuze Wash is newer, so only time will tell how well they hold up.

I would personally recommend the Rogues, but that clean single source on the Fuze Wash is quite pretty, and might be worth the extra $300 for some.

The Fuze units have a much softer edge to them than the Rogue washes, more like a fresnel type light. The blue in the Fuze isn't quite as blue (still a good LED blue), but otherwise the colors are very nice. That blue being a little less saturated might work well in a theater situation though. All in all, I think you should get a demo of both and try them out in your space; I think that the Fuze could definitely be the winner but you should try for yourself.

Always do demos! Any Manufacturer will work with your dealer to get that. The benefit of the COB style fixtures is usually wider beam angles and homogenized beams/ no multi color shadows.

The R2 washes are a really rock solid light, and I love mine, but the fuze is a pretty neat looking fixture, worth checking out.

dpak,

Any report on the Rogue 2 versus the Fuze? I am considering both of them, as well. Thanks!!!

I'll be honest - I didn't do my full homework. The demo never happened due to a flaky local company (and lots of back and forth as to when and what fixtures they could bring), but I was able to see a Rogue in action and decided to go with it. We've had it 2 weeks and already I love it.

I'll be honest - I didn't do my full homework. The demo never happened due to a flaky local company (and lots of back and forth as to when and what fixtures they could bring), but I was able to see a Rogue in action and decided to go with it. We've had it 2 weeks and already I love it.

I love my R2 washes as well, not to mention the zone control is very handy for certain things, something you can't get with a COB fixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back