Code Conundrums

BillConnerFASTC

I'm on a panel on Friday at 1:00 with Steve Terry and Kim Corbett titled (tada!) "Code Conundrums" and if in the course of your work in the entertainment technology and performing arts world you have questions about codes and standards and what they mean, or how they are to be interpreted, please post below. If you can't attend, so indicate in your post and I will come back and respond here with what was presented in regards to that question.

Thank you!

Sorry to not be there. Very interested to hear about the session results as Steve and I occasionally work to navigate some of these issues.

Perhaps this is stuff that has been hashed and rehashed at USITT before, but since you're asking…

I have been going through the 2014 NEC and have a few questions that I would be interested in clarification on:

520.63 Bracket Fixture Wiring
(A) Bracket Wiring. Brackets for use on scenery shall be wired internally, and the fixture stem shall be carried through to the back of the scenery where a bushing shall be placed on the end of the stem. Externally wired brackets or other fixtures shall be permitted where wired with cords designed for hard usage that extend through scenery and without joint or splice in canopy of fixture back and terminate in an approved-type stage connector located, where practical, within 450 mm (18 in.) of the fixture.

Question: Does this mean that sconces, etc. that are mounted to scenery cannot be wired with zip cord, but must be wired with (at minimum) 18 gauge SJ cable that that terminates in a stage pin or twist lock connector within 18"?
I am operating under premise of the information found in table 400.4 that SPT cable (lamp cord) is "not hard usage", that SJ cable qualifies as "hard usage", and that SO qualifies as "extra-hard usage". There doesn't seem to be any requirement here that the cable be of a capacity any larger than is necessary for the practical (usually 100 watts or less).

A related question: I can't seem to find any information regarding "listed" practicals. By this I mean a UL-listed table or floor lamp that is wired with SPT cable that terminates in a molded 2-prong Edison plug. Does this type of practical need to connect directly to a 12 gauge SO cable without any sort of intermediate cord even when such an installation would prove to be unsightly or very difficult to achieve because of the physical size of 12 gauge SO cable?

As a side note, I want to thank all involved who are staying on top of the NEC issues and especially to Steve Terry for his many submissions regarding article 520 venues for consideration for the 2017 NEC.

Mark Kieffer

I'm sure Steve will probably address this tomorrow but I'll ask it in session if he doesn't.

I'll be focusing on things non-sparking, thank you. Half of my discussions today were about fire curtains. Thankfully, more history than current "conundrums". And I hope I can get people to talk about the scenery vs. building code issues I keep hearing more about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back