Coemar CF 1200 Wash lamp issue

avery

Hey everyone. I'll get right to the point.

I have a Coemar CF 1200 wash fixture that came in from a trade. I've never worked with this fixture before so I don't know a lot about it, though it's fairly similar to any other mover.

Anyway, I'm curious if I'm doing something wrong as I can't get the lamp to come on at all. I have total DMX control over the fixture, so I can control everything from pan, tilt, lens, color and more. I just can't get the lamp to arch.

I've replaced the bulb with a new one which didn't help. I've also checked and double checked my wires and connection of the ballast and can't really find anything that tells me anything.

This is my first time working with the 1200w MSR lamp, and I thought someone here might have worked with this fixture before or one similar and might be able to give me some insights.

Thanks in advance.

It does have a lamp on channel, but it doesn't do anything. I have smaller movers that have that channel as well in which it doesn't affect them at all. So I can't tell if it's doing anything or not.

I'm having someone take a closer look at the wiring since the fixture has some age to it.

I've tried lamping on from my desk and even from the fixture's built in menu and don't get anything. I'll keep looking.

More likely the Ignitor. which may or may not be part of the ballast. Often, a separate can in line with the lamp that provides a high-voltage kick to get the lamp started.

EDIT Note: The ignitor is a passive device, so there is no control line to it. It does it's thing when it senses the voltage to the lamp is high enough to indicate the lamp is not in an arc state. Once the lamp is running, the ballast output voltage drops due to the load and the ignitor goes dormant. Usually has only three terminals or wires. As Tim said below, when it is doing its thing, the 20kv+ output will have about the same effect as a taser, so you don't want to be in contact with those lamp leads!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back