Coemar iSpot575

Coemar is big in the club market and is a reliable name in my book. I personally have not used any of their fixtures but have seen them in action. Not sure on their maintanece needs and how often they break/ need some repairs, but I would say that it cant be any worse then the Martin MiniMAC :roll: . I think you are safe with Coemar if thats what you can afford.

PLSN did a review on them.... I'm not sure what month it was, but I would maybe try a search on there website? I remember reading the article, and it was nothing but good; especially for the price.

ZW

digitaltec said:
Coemar is big in the club market and is a reliable name in my book. I personally have not used any of their fixtures but have seen them in action. Not sure on their maintanece needs and how often they break/ need some repairs, but I would say that it cant be any worse then the Martin MiniMAC :roll: . I think you are safe with Coemar if thats what you can afford.

Do you have any other other affordable fixtures off the top of your head?

The_Guest, PM me what your budget is and how many fixtures you are looking for and let me see what I can come up with.

digitaltec said:

MiniMac? The ispot is more similar to Mac550 more than anything. The macs are a bit more dough, but they're way nicer. I'm going to go with 2 Mac550 w/an emphasis upgrade.

I've only seen a coemar fixture 2x. Once when I got to demo a 575 watt moving head about 4 years ago. Probably a prototype for the one you're using. It was terrible. But like I said, it was just a prototype.

The other was the colorcyc 1200, which has been replaced with a new model. The colorcyc is an outdoor color mixing fixture and I thot it was well made. It was left in a downpour for 5 hours and didn't quit the whole time. Good color saturation, also.

As for the Minimac, it had one huge problem. The wiring harness was crap. Not the design of it, but the actual wires. Martin replaced it with a new harness which they were willing to either send to the owner or install at their service department. The new wiring harness makes the fixture work 100% better and more reliably.

The Mac 550 (comparable lamp to the Coemar) has some software issues, but is still better IMO due to it's feature set. The software has been updated, and it's fine now.

For something in the same price as the ispot, I'd go Mac 250 Entour. Since the design is newer, it has improved optics over an older design 575 level lamp, meaning the end light output is better with a smaller lamp. Plus, it's lighting fast for a moving head. Still not as fast as a moving mirror, but really fast.

But in choosing, I'd look at the service behind the product, also. Regardless of how reliable a fixture is, who is going to fix it when it does go down? How quickly and how completely are they going to fix it. If you are unsure of the service, stay away from the brand.

heavy

Another thing I thought I would just note is that the weight of the fixture is pretty high. You may want to factor that in if this will not be a permanant installiation setup. I have no experience with this company, but overall it looks like it would be pretty good to just hang on a truss and let it do its thing. One thing about those moving heads though, they can shake a truss if it has hanging by just a chain then the whole thing moves. Just wanted to make sure you realized it is heavy.

At the club I work at we got 4 Ispots and 4 Prospots they are worth the money BUT the light is very heavy so mount it well. All so not much service needed I used them 4 nights a week for 6h straight with 3 G300 (big ass fogger) and I cleaned them 1 every couple months.

I've ditched the Coemars for MAC550s, but weight really isn't an issue. If I were to get the Coemars, the weight wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't be taking them on the road or anything so rigging would always be definite.

I just want to set the record straight.... I would NEVER buy or suggest someone to buy a MiniMAC. I know that Martin released them for more of the club market but even with the new harness, I still can't get the dang things to not break. They also have a completely differnt software program which becomes a problem especially if you are working fast and go and lamp on your fixtures. MiniMac's are more trouble then they are worth.

The fastest moving head on the market is the MAc 250 Kripton. I personally like the fixture alot. I am alsoa fan of the MAC 550.

I am a huge fan of Martin Lighting for most applications. The one problem I do have is getting parts. Unless you are a dealer, you can't get the parts directly from Martin. I think with the market expanding and not every Martin client being directly related to a dealer, I think Martin should re-think their policy on this. If you can buy the fixtures, why can't you get the required parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back