Coemar's new release Reflection LEDko

...I have not ever heard of a soft profile before. What is this???
I've never heard of a soft profile spotlight before either. Perhaps it has something to do with the fixture having both a shutter and a barn door set?

proxy.php

I have heard people referring to the old Strand 264s, which had two sets of shutters, as "soft profiles" due to the "comb" shutters which gave you a soft shuttered edge. Only time I've ever heard the term though!

Based on what they write in their specifications, it is considered a profile type unit as it has focused optics. It seems that you can either use it as an ERS of sorts, or can defocus it and use it as a wash unit. The Barndoors appear removable.

There's not much information published about this fixture yet so I've been unable to find out some of the more technical details on it, but I'm curious if they brought over the water-cooling they used on their wash fixture in the Reflection series, and if like those wash fixtures, the profiles cannot be pointed straight down.

Last edited:
I spoke with Coemar's dealer in the States.

I've never heard of a soft profile spotlight before either. Perhaps it has something to do with the fixture having both a shutter and a barn door set?

Apparently when Coemar says there are "various angles available," they currently mean that you can purchase it with either a 26* lens, a Fresnel style or a PC style barrel. You can use the shutters in all configurations, but obviously you may need the extra control provided by the barndoors for the PC and Fresnel.

I'm curious if they brought over the water-cooling they used on their wash fixture in the Reflection series

He says that there is no water cooling, just a "tiny fan that rarely comes on."

All in all, looks like it could be a cool toy. I'd love to see one with zoom optics, but that's just me.

I spoke with Coemar's dealer in the States.

Apparently when Coemar says there are "various angles available," they currently mean that you can purchase it with either a 26* lens, a Fresnel style or a PC style barrel. You can use the shutters in all configurations, but obviously you may need the extra control provided by the barndoors for the PC and Fresnel.

He says that there is no water cooling, just a "tiny fan that rarely comes on."

All in all, looks like it could be a cool toy. I'd love to see one with zoom optics, but that's just me.

Or something other than a 26º beam, but thats just me.

Or something other than a 26º beam, but thats just me.
A post on another forum states
It attaches the source four barrel assembly straight to the front of the ledko, so you get the shutters, iris slot, gobos, and then any barrel you want to use.
If this is true*, to my mind the Coemar unit would have a significant advantage over the RevEAL, AledIN, and Neeva.

*Which this picture appears to confirm.
proxy.php

Last edited:
That would explain why their website doesn't show any images of the front of the unit! If this is true what we are seeing, you would be able to use one LED unit for a variety of purposes, while getting full color changing ability. In my theater I can imagine having 34 of these, 4 of which would be equipped with Irises and on Apollo right arms, replacing over 80 conventional units. That's a lot of power saved, a lot of set up time saved. WOO Also easier to get those hemp lines up without 12 circuit mult on it!

Derek, while the AledIN can't use S4 Barrels, it can use other RJ parts. (As explained to me at USITT) So while us American's might not get the most out of it, for those in Europe, where RJ is much more popular, they probably can.

The photoMetric data is on the Led Source web site

LEDSource: Welcome to LED Source

I have seen this unit in person and I'm not being bias. It is a true quality of light that you get from a flat field that is like no other light. I look at the photo metrics of etc and compared and i know all the manufacturers do different things with photo metric. I know the Source 4's lammed from my local rental house were not new lamps and not giving me the same reading as the photo metrics on the etc site, I can guaranty that. The out put is impressive. Basically you would use the 32 k as a key light as its out put is the closet (about 15%) to the S4 575w. the Full spectrum is = to S4 750w in color( Kills it). The veri White I would see used more in studios but not solely.
As for the different optics. There is a patten on the Shutter before the Fresnel and pc lens that Coemar holds, and what that gives you is a really nice grainy falloff without the Barndoors. There are a lot of options to design from.

Looks like the future of stage lighting. Unfortunately, the future looks expensive!

Looks like the future of stage lighting. Unfortunately, the future looks expensive!

For new installs and retrofits, it can be comparable and sometimes significantly cheaper to buy high-quality LED fixtures and use existing power sources. It sounds expensive because the price is so visible, but remember that all of these other costs go into turning your power-hungry incandescent fixtures on:

+ Cost of upgrading the electrical service to a building
+ Cost of a dimmer rack and modules
+ Cost of installation of dimmer rack, modules, and wiring
+ Cost of electrical raceways and power distribution
+ Consumables: Lamps, Gels, Gobos

The average theatre that's already got a 300-circuit dimming system in place won't see much ROI on LED fixtures if their intention is just to save money by not having to replace lamps and gels. On the other hand, facilities can really see some great ROI when it comes to either installing LED fixtures with minimal power and DMX distribution instead of upgrading their electrical service to make way for 400A/3phase for a couple new dimmer racks and all of the electrical contracting that goes into installing a dimmer rack and wiring the circuits up.

By the way -- the fastest way for a small community theatre to stop expanding their dimming systems is when they're told they need to have the service coming into the building upgraded before they can add any power on stage for event just a handful of shoebox dimmer packs. The cost of having a service upgraded can be enough to put a community theatre six feet under.

We're used to thinking that it's a $300 Incandescent ERS versus a $2000 LED ERS, but there are a lot of other costs that go into keeping the lights on for a decade beyond just the costs of the fixtures.

So on one hand, the price can be scary because it's much higher than theatre people are used to, but on the other hand, there are far fewer surprises in the dollar amounts for pricing out an LED system than for an incandescent system. At $2000 a fixture though, you need to have far better reasons to buy LED fixtures over incandescent fixtures than "it saves energy," because yes, it sort of does, but you'll never make up the other $1700/fixture over incandescents by shaving a few cents off of your electric bills each month.

50000 / 300 X $17 =$2667

This is the amount you can potentially save using LED Fixtures in lamp cost before the LEDs go, give or take depending on your preference of brand of lamp, supply cost in your area, etc. I use 300 hours because most LED ERS profile units are coming with lumen outputs comparable to an HPL 575 standard life- about 16000. Using 2000 hour lamps will result in only $400 in savings. However, keep in mind that with color mixing LED's you can cut any two color washes to one unit. This means the potential to almost double savings on lamps.

Two Cents I have: LED's returns can vary widely.

I believe that most of the country knows the saving involved in LEDs and the whole green scenario. We see the trend in our retrofit department its not as hard of an ROI sell anymore its more of the tune of CRI, Color Temp and more design approach.

The Real up side to the LEDko adding to what MNicolai has already said is no more changing of the Gel
No bench focus
No need for Rosco, Apollo, and Gam's expencive gobos as you can print gobos on any standard printer.
Not as much use of cable due too daisy chaining (power con) up to 16 fixtures @208
And the biggest one the group of fixtures you use for todays theatrical performance, change the optics and do a presidential debate with a full Fresnel front wash.

As for Cost if you invested $2800 for one light engine and 2 optics equaling 3 different types of lights thats only $933.00 a light. Now thats a real deal.

Here is a video link of the LEDko.....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for Cost if you invested $2800 for one light engine and 2 optics equaling 3 different types of lights thats only $933.00 a light. Now thats a real deal.[/QUOTE]

I know this is a brand new item and not yet for sale, but it seems as though you are giving us a ballpark figure for what they will sell for, around $2800 with 2 sets of optics, is that true?
Of course I must take exception with your statement about getting "3" lights for that price. NOT SO! It is one fixture that I can change optics on. One pool of light at a time, not 3. Just like a traditional ERS with changeable barrels. Nice try though.

Regards,

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back