Cold Wash

Nivea

I'm doing my first lighting design and one of the things I'm stuck with is coming up with a cold wash! Sounds silly enough, but last time I did a cold wash I thought they looked too blue.. and it wasn't the cold wash I wanted to go for. So my questions is, what is your cold wash?

My idea was to use

L201 - FOH (Full C.T Blue, done with Source 4 Zooms)
L200 - General Wash (Double C.T blue, lit with 1.2 Kw Fresnels)
L119 - Back wash (Dark Blue, done with 1.2 Kw Fresnels)

I'm lighting a night scene in a house..

Do you want them to look cold or cool?

In my book there is a difference, cool would be all cool colors. If I want someone to look cold, I usually throw in a tad of lavender.

Cool.
It's for a production of Little Women. So it can't be modern warm cold if you get what I mean. It's has a candle on the table type of lit performance!

I would think you would want more of a warm wash for this. Lots of ambers. You want to aim for the 3,000K range.

What Les said doesn't seem to make much sense, but it's actually true. Instead of thinking about what colors should be present, instead try to think about creating shadow, and more importantly, WHY night looks the way it does.

First, establish your motivating sources. You mention a "candle on a table" - are there any other practicals suggested or present in the set? Maybe a wall sconce or two? A fireplace? Start by plotting out soft areas of warm, amber light around these practicals to make it appear that the actors are being lit by the actual source and not by stage lights. For the fireplace, consider using two or three different units with slightly different colors to give a realistic fire effect - there was a good thread here a few days ago about making a believable fireplace, and a search should turn up even more thread on the subject.

Once you've got that, work with your windows and doors - in an interior room, what makes night different from day? The only difference is the light streaming in through windows, doors, cracks in the walls, skylights, and so on. So what color is "night"? We tend to associate night with deep blues, and without getting into a discussion about color perception and human vision, this is essentially true. But night isn't always the same color everywhere you go. The blue you'd see standing on the shore of a large lake would be very different from the blue you'd see standing in the middle of a dense forest. While you don't necessarily need to specifically establish exactly what natural feature lies outside each window and door, you should be aware of this difference, and use slightly different shades of blue to provide more depth and realism. And what about the biggest motivating source of the night sky - the moon? If appropriate, maybe designate the moon as being "off stage right" or something, and add a unit in a lighter shade of blue to simulate the effect of moonlight streaming through the window. And don't forget about gobos! Natural light is rarely the flat, evenly-spread beams that our lighting instruments produce. Experiment with some gobos streaming in through windows, maybe to simulate light shining through trees, or to just show a hint of reflection off a body of water, or anything else.

Now after you've gone through and thought about all this, then you need to adapt your design to work in a theatre setting. Because the need for visibility generally overrides the need for realism in the theatre, we are often forced to add more light to the stage than would be seen in an actual setting. Gillette suggests that a night scene can be done effectively by using a deeper blue wash of color from the front to fill in any remaining shadows. Gillette's example uses R79, although you should choose a color that works with your show, set, and costumes. Keeping your "warm" lights (motivated sources from candles, sconces, fireplace, etc.) at a lower intensity will both reduce the amount of light hitting the stage as well as increase the amber drift, giving you a much more candle-like feel.

Tonight after it gets dark, find a room in your house with a couple windows and turn off any source of artificial light - including lamps, clocks, oven timers, whatever you may have in the room. Then really look and think about the light in the room. Where is it coming from? What color does it appear to be? Is it hard, sharp light, or is it very soft and diffused light? Then, light a single candle and place it in the middle of the room. Now, reanalyze the lighting and ask yourself the same questions. How does the addition of the candle change the existing lighting? Remember, you havent actually removed any of the light that was there before, you've just added another layer. By starting with the smallest layers in your design and working upward, you will be able to create a very effective night scene.

I hope this helped somewhat, let me know if any part of it doesnt make sense. A first lighting design is always a great experience, no matter how it turns out. Good luck, and have fun!

Thanks everyone I will try Michael to suggest what you just suggested.

I have the warm wash coverd I hope.. I was thinking of using Basterd Amber as FOH, Straw Tint as General at 204 as back wash..

I just lit a couple of plays in my venue ... my colours were as such...

Warm Wash...

FOH - L206
TOP - L206
SIDE's - L205
BACKLIGHT - L205

Cold Wash...

FOH - L201
TOP - L201
SIDE's - L201 & L200 (Overlaid give quite a nice blue)
BACKLIGHT - L201 & L200

Overall I got some really nice natural states...
obviously if you want a warmer wash for inside then go ahead and throw some chocolates in.. If you want a colder Blue L161 Is brilliant!

Just my 2p from the UK!

So what's up with calling it a cold wash? I've always called it a cool wash. I can see it being called cold if it is extremely blue and/or has the purpose of depicting a cold scene, but I've never referred to the opposite of a warm wash as a cold wash.

Maybe I'm just being too nitpicky ;)

Last edited:
I think rochem gives some great advice and is a great way to approach a naturalistic scene. I do a lot of musical theatre, with a tendency toward heightened reality, and a need to create a lot of looks with the same plot, so here's a little about my approach.

It's useful to consider what the eye/brain does with color. If you look at a stage lit all in blues, over time your brain will "auto white balance," so what started out look very blue with shift toward white in your eye. So when I'm going for night I like to include some deep blues (L119 is great!) from the back/top and sides. Then I often will also do a high-side gobo breakup (from only one side) in some form of pink. This can imply sources such as lamp light, etc. Maybe not truly realistic, but it works with the palate and looks nice. And the presence of the pink mean you perceived the deep blue that's in all the shadows as deep blue (it's important that the blue and pink come from different angles so they don't just mix to one color but get into different parts of the face/body/set). A pale cool high-side breakup from the other side can create moonlight, but be careful not to wash everything out. If you can also have a deep blue wash from the front (especially from a low angle) it's very helpful, again to put blue in the shadows. Then use only as much frontlight as necessary to fill faces. I usually use a light lav, as I feel it blends with a lot of colors without washing them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back