College Question

thebikingtechie

I'm starting the long process of finding a college/university, I'm not sure if I want to major in theatre, but I at least want a college that has a technical theatre program. I know there are some schools that are "the" schools to go to but I am also looking at other aspects since I don't want to just do theatre.

I've got a list that I'm looking at right now. Any information theatre or otherwise would be much appreciated.

Allegheny College
Antioch College
Beloit College
Centre College
Clark University
Goucher College
Guilford College
Hampshire College
Hiram College
Juniata College
Knox College
Lawrence University
McDaniel College
Whitman College

Thanks

DePaul and New York University have good theatre programs as well as other academic programs. I too am looking at colleges so i have been doing research and my list looks similar to yours.

I don't want to do any shameless self plugging or say anything stupid, but here is my 2 cents, as I was restricted to in-state schools, it may not be the most pertinent of advice:

I chose Virginia Tech for college next year (and a theatre major) based on a few different criteria I had set for myself.
I wanted a school that offered a good theatre program as well as a few other good strong programs. I liked that it was a small theatre program in a massive school, and that even though it was small, it was being very well funded so that I could get the training I need.
Being a school that has consistently been recognized for both engineering and architecture I knew that it would also provide me a good solid backing in what my parents considered a "safe" career :)rolleyes:).
Knowing that I can major in what I want to, as well as a good "marketable" major, I hope I can provide some job security for the future.

Just my two cents though, even if you see Virginia Tech as unsuitable, you can still see why I chose it.

Ha, themuzicman just didnt want to commit to a conservatory. thats alright buddy

SublimPointPark Universityinal

i live in beloit.

ive worked in that theatre over the summers. its a nice space. the technical aspects are always amazing. chuck the td is a great designer. the acting and directing on the other hand...isnt that great. if you have any other questions about it in general feel free to message me

I wouldn't discount schools because they don't have a specific technical theatre program. Many schools (such as U.Va.) have very good faculty who offer excellent classes in the technical aspects of theatre. You will have to take acting classes as well, but you can definitely spend a lot of time doing tech. (Or you can do what I do, and get an Engineering major and do tech theatre...)

Again, I'll stress that, in my opinion, it's the Faculty and Staff that should be the most important factor in deciding on a college/university. Get to know them and their backgrounds before making a decision. Their contribution to your future cannot be overstated.

Whoa there fella, hold up!
Take Antioch off the list.

Well that was just kind of thrown on there as an option, I'm a little confused to the state of Antioch right now, I've heard that it's closing but their website makes it look like it's still open pending full decision by their board. There was a news release saying that they are in negotiations, it's hard to gain more info than that.

Further explanation of how this list was thought up; I don't want to go to a college where there's no point in being there except to get a piece of paper that says you are now considered an educated human being. All the colleges on my list at this point are from the Colleges that Change Lives website, which has a bunch of interesting and less mainstream colleges. I basically went through the list and cut all the ones that were obviously not where I wanted to go to school (ie. religious affiliation (not to offend anyone but I don't really want to go to a religiously affiliated school)). That is the list I came up with. I'm starting to research them more extensively now and am finding some I really like and others that I don't like as much. I'm just trying to find as much information on them as possible right now since I have some time before I actually have to decide.

Thanks for all your responses.

beloit is in the top 40 in the country i believe, or was a few years ago.

i have a bunch of friends there and i know some of the professors. its known for its archaeology department. the guy that indiana jones is based on use to work there. as a school it is top notch. as far as i now its not known for its theatre program but its still decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back