College Radio Budget Decisions! HELP

I will certainly suggest people use the vinyl more - right now weve got literally an entire classroom size room full of them.

And yeah we will definately not scrap the old mixer - it will most likely end up with out mobile setup which is expected to become a reality spring of next year.

So the ZED-14 people seem to like then? I think thats what Ill end up goign with

now - people have brought up the issue of an interface - do I need one with this mixer -no - but should I be using one especially if its going to be an apogee? or would you save that money and reinvest it elsewhere and just hook the mixer directly into the computer with USB - then wont I also bypass my racks with the compressor and whatnot? how Can i integrate the compressor and other rack gear if i use USB.

we technically dont have any outgoing signal except an internet broadcast - so let me try to restate my question here:

I can go XLRmaster out of the ZED into the apogee's TRS stereo inputs into the computer which broadcasts it. If I use the USB connection of the ZED to connect directly to the computer - therres no way to incorperate a compressor in there right? (also eliminates need for an interface as well)

we technically dont have any outgoing signal except an internet broadcast - so let me try to restate my question here:

I can go XLRmaster out of the ZED into the apogee's TRS stereo inputs into the computer which broadcasts it. If I use the USB connection of the ZED to connect directly to the computer - therres no way to incorperate a compressor in there right? (also eliminates need for an interface as well)

You don't need the USB connection, its just a bonus for if you want to do some recording. basicly your setup would be this

Mics/CD/Computer
goes into
Mixer
which goes to
Compressor
Which goes to
(how you get to your computer from an XLR or TRS)
which then gets broadcast over the internet

yeah the "how you get to your computer from TRS" is going to be the Apogee Duet interface - but thanks a bunch for clearing up that the USB is just a bonus.

yeah - i agree - but even still - what better analog mixer is there out there for $400 that has small amounts of inputs and is also made by a highly respectable company like A&H? idk maybe there is one.

The ZED-14 should have an Insert jack on the Main L/R input; this is where you put the compressor. All of this said, the fact that the ZED-14 is half the cost of the Wiz3 console makes me wonder though...why is it so cheap, especially with an analog to digital converter on board? Might look at some reviews.

You asked what to focus on and in order to assess that, perhaps it would help if you provided more detail on the facility, the use and your goals. For example, better mics and interfaces may be nice but if the result is primarily hearing any HVAC noise or students in the adjacent hallway better, then those may not be the best place to invest your budget. Factors such as whether you do just single DJ type shows or also have talk or live interview programming or whether you have shows involving multiple students may affect the equipment and the facilities. So may the potential move away from separate studio and control room to a combined function.

For example, why are you considering 'acoustic insulation foam'? Is it to solve a specific problem or simply because it makes it look like a radio station? Does it being installed in a University facility affect what can be used, such as requiring it to be fire retardant? This general concept actually applies to pretty much all of the items listed, are you getting them to provide a specific functionality or address an existing deficiency or are they more because of a perception they are needed? It is difficult for us to judge the potential value without a good basis.

In addition, I am a little confused by the budget numbers. You note a budget that includes $1,430 for tools, instruments, etc., $2,825 for dues, licenses and memberships and $150 for office supplies, for a total of $4,405. You then indicate $5,139 worth of equipment and services you are considering but that seems incomplete. What about rights licensing, is that covered by someone else, such as the University having a blanket license? What about tools, maintenance, supplies, etc.? How much of your $4,405 budget is realistically available for the types of purchases noted?

As far as specific gear, let's start with the BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer. For one thing, that is an unbalanced unit not in keeping with the other changes noted, you'd probably want the 882i that has balanced I/O. But even then, what leads you to include this unit in your list? Similar for the compressor, assessing whether it is the right tool for that job or is a priority depends on how you envision using it and what you expect.

I'm also not real clear on how you plan to configure everything with the interface, computer, mixer, etc. If you were thinking of the Apogee interface being solely to get the mixer output into the Mac, then how do you plan to get the students' iPods and laptops into the mixer? I would look at getting a couple of interfaces like the Whirlwind pcDI or the ProCO iFace/iRack or the Radial Engineering JPC/ProAV2.

Years ago when I was involved in college radio (back in the days of turntables, reel-to-reels and carts) the control room and studio had been already been combined into one function at our station with the old control room becoming the record library. We used monitors much as Mike described, to monitor the live signal and for cueing as well as when producing station promos, PSAs, etc. The monitors were cut off whenever a mic was switched live on the console. I would hate being tied down to headphones all the time.

I would skip the low cost power 'conditioner' and consider getting a good UPS for your computer, perhaps even large enough to keep you online during brief outages.

Well here is the deal - we are moving into a new studio next year. The building is just being built over the summer to technically were not in the building yet - but we have to choose our equipment now - otherwise we lose the money for funding. We are expected to have near silent HVAC system installed - i specifically told the engineers about that. Also, we may get some acoustic triangles in the room already installed form the party hall that is going next door to us (dont worry about that). But yeah - does it make it look like a radio station? yes. Does it help a bit with the echo in the room (with concrete floors and some carpeting on them) yes. So it kind of does both. It does need to be fire retardant. The potential value? its less functional that it is image. Were no where near professional at this point so haveing people "feel" like this is a real radio is important.

As for the financial aspect - yes I went a bit over budget with what I listed there - were going to have to cut a few things out - the $500 for insulation may be cut out as well as some other things - thats why I'm asking you experts here - maybe to help cut things out. The school has blanket liscencing for rights. The full 4.4K IS available to us but as I noted 2.8 goes to the software. So its really 4.4K - 2.8K that I have to work with for new gear. Matinence goes into a seperate budget as the year goes on - and I have to plead for that seperately.

Compressor and Maximizer arent essential - but where else can my money go -

Mixer accepts the ipod inputs via a 3.5mm - stereo TS cable. Then from mixer into interface into computer.

The software we have actually does store all of our automated playlists on their own servers so if we have a power outage it still plays.

upon that information, if you get a new mixer you will need to use a DI box to connect an Ipod or a computer using the 3.5mm jacks otherwise your audio quality will be about as bad as a cheap car radio tape deck. My suggestion instead of spending hundreds of dollars on acoustical materials get your audio quality as high as you can with your budget more listeners= more budget. I would also try to get students to realize that if they are planning on going into radio Ipods are not allowed at all to be plugged into systems. at least not in my area. As stated above, a control room + studio combo would be better for your situation as it would make the station able to be run by one person very efficiently.

OK - so from ipod (theoretically, although ill talk to people about that) - to DI box - to Mixer?

The acoustical materials you can consider cut - Ill handle that in a "home made" sort of way.

OK - so from ipod (theoretically, although ill talk to people about that) - to DI box - to Mixer?

The acoustical materials you can consider cut - Ill handle that in a "home made" sort of way.

yes you'll find it will give you a better quality audio and give you more headroom on the mixer.

as far as acoustical materials just search the forum there are some really good links and tutorials on how to make your own acoustical treatments. plus when it comes down to it unless you've been trained on how to put acoustical treatments in spending the money for real acoustical material is just a waste since every inch doesn't need to be covered.

(two years ago i attempted to acoustic treat our small black box control booth to reduce echo)

OK - so - based on what Ive gathered from this forum so far (which is alot thanks so much)

Im going to cut:
Power conditioner -$50
Acoustical treatment -$500
Maximizer -$100
Headphones: -$100

Add:
home made insulation: +$50 (girls can get carpets and stuff together)
DI boxes: +$150-$200

As a side note have you contacted the radio stations at your neighboring schools and asked them for input? Clarkson and Potsdam both have decent radio stations that do internet broadcast as well as fm broadcast, and from time to time do have some pretty knowledgeable people in them. Despite the the fact that you go to SLU the Clarkson Station I know is pretty well equipped and the guys would probably give you a tour and chat with you if you asked.

-Chris
Clarkson Alum

I have to disagree a bit on some of the comments. If the studio is being built then now is the time to most cost effectively address things like acoustics and power that you will probably have to live with for some time. You can probably address a lot of the equipment issues at any time, it's a little less effective to have to be tearing open walls, covering over finishes you already paid for, running surface conduit in a brand new space, etc. Also, if you will have open mics then the studio acoustics will potentially affect the audio quality. Why spend any money on mics unless you are going to be using them in a good environment? Get a good foundation as far as the facility and your options in the future will likely be better.

Carpet belongs on the floor, not the walls. Along with not being nearly as good an acoustical material as some think, carpet is sometimes not rated for vertical applications. Some of the shaped foam products certainly offer the look you may be going for and may be acoustically effective treatments but they may also be easy to damage, so keep that in mind. Along the same lines, DIY acoustical treatments are certainly possible but aspects such as fire ratings and durability may make some options less practical. Keep in mind that many materials and methods that may be perfectly fine in home studios may not be effective or even
permitted in commercial construction.

Just a detail in terminology but while fiberglass insulation may be used for room acoustics, acoustical "insulation" typically references sound isolation rather than absorption. They're both aspects to consider, isolation of the studio to/from surrounding spaces and acoustics within the studio, but it is not always clear which is being discussed.

To Chris: WOAH! SUNY Clarkson? Cluck Farkson! - Im sorry but I have no interest in dealing with the lowlifes from Farkson - I'm suprised you guys were even smart enough to have a radio station ahhahahah kidding kidding. Actually I think that is a good idea - I have my car up here - Ill give them a call this week and ask for a tour.

To Brad: Yeah sadly I didnt have much control over what the engineers decided to do - in fact KSLU had very little say in that. They had a certain budget and they did what they did (or will do).

Scratch the Maximizer/Exciter. Rubbish.

Get some headphones that sound good:

Max isolation, good to VG sound: ExtremeHeadphones EX29 (latest version only).

Good isolation, good to VG sound: M-Audio IE10 earbuds.

Good isolation, good sound: Sennheiser 280.

No isolation, best sound: Grado (all are a good value, but preferably the model 125 or better).

Poor isolation, mediocre sound: Sony 7506.

Background:
Restricted radiotelephone License since 1989.
On air at WMGA, WSLE, WPAX, WMTS, and WNAR 1989-1995

I'm going to take a slightly different approach.
A back-up Mac and audio interface. Computer craps out and you've lost everything... most of the rest, you can improvise around.

In response to Ronald Beal: Buying a backup computer definately makes sense if we didnt have the support of the school. If we did happen to lose the computer due to something - they would lend us one temporarily until we buy another one of our own. Actually thats what were doing right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back