College student asking for advice

salsan375

So after volunteering at a community theater for over a year I told one of the guys in charge at the theater at my college that I want to be a lighting designer. He told me if I want to help out next semester I need to do research. I would like to know how do I get started. Any links, threads, and book advice would be much appreciated.

Welcome to CB! In addition to what Amiers said, I would add the follwoing: Learn to be the best electrician you can. Most designers make the early part of their living working on electrics crew. You become a better designer and collaborator when you understand other parts of a production. Electrical theory is important to know. I would also say, design as much as you can, as many different generas of shows as you can. Even if it is a small community theatre or club to begin with. The more you do, the better you will get... and the better your design portfolio will be.

~Dave

So after volunteering at a community theater for over a year I told one of the guys in charge at the theater at my college that I want to be a lighting designer. He told me if I want to help out next semester I need to do research. I would like to know how do I get started. Any links, threads, and book advice would be much appreciated.

Your at a college... that I assume you are paying to attend? Isn't it their job to teach you these things?

I had the same reaction as Footer. You shouldn't be told to get yourself started by doing research. You should be referred to introductory level courses and associated hands-on experiences. Maybe we are misunderstanding. Was the "guy in charge" you spoke with a member of faculty or staff, or just a more experienced student? Was that literally the only thing said - do your own research? I love when my students do independent research, but I'd be embarrassed and disturbed if I or a colleague ever floated that as a prerequisite to guided study.

Welcome to CB! In addition to what Amiers said, I would add the follwoing: Learn to be the best electrician you can. Most designers make the early part of their living working on electrics crew. You become a better designer and collaborator when you understand other parts of a production. Electrical theory is important to know. I would also say, design as much as you can, as many different generas of shows as you can. Even if it is a small community theatre or club to begin with. The more you do, the better you will get... and the better your design portfolio will be..

~Dave
Agree...At our community theater I am the technical director and happen to be good a electrician - and the only electrician here. I have worked with many 'trained' lighting designers and only one had any electrical skills. This is important for several reasons - understanding phase load balancing, knowing that your equipment (luminaries, cords and sockets) are in good nick and used safely, and performing simple maintenance and repairs on fixtures. Most cannot wire a plug nor test ti see if it is done correctly which has lead to many burned dimmer 'firing' cards.

I have recently trained a retired professional lighting designer with good hanging skills, on how to tear down and completely rebuild a classic fresnel fixture - she had a great time. She also now understands phase balancing, the difference between a neutral and a ground, and the importance of proper bonding - and she now knows when an extension is faulty.

Agree...At our community theater I am the technical director and happen to be a good electrician - and the only electrician here. I have worked with many 'trained' lighting designers and only one had any electrical skills. This is important for several reasons - understanding phase load balancing, knowing that your equipment (luminaries, cords and sockets) are in good nick and used safely, and performing simple maintenance and repairs on fixtures. Most cannot wire a plug nor test it see if it is done correctly which has lead to many burned dimmer 'firing' cards.

I have recently trained a retired professional lighting designer with good hanging skills, on how to tear down and completely rebuild a classic fresnel fixture - she had a great time. She also now understands phase balancing, the difference between a neutral and a ground, and the importance of proper bonding - and she now knows when an extension is faulty.
@Colin and @garyvp I've heard elderly experienced male designers are potentially capable of being successfully trained as well.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back