Colleges for Lighting Design

TechGeek

Hey everyone. I'm in my junior year of high school now and I need to start looking at colleges... I live in South New Jersey, pretty close to New York (only a hour or two train ride).

I want to major in lighting and ideally want to attend the best school out there for this but that's not always possible so as I look for schools, can you guys and gals add some schools to the list and what they are like or your experience if you attended it.

Also what degree should I go for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dozens of choices,

North Carolina School of the Arts, Carnegie Mellon, California Institute for the Arts, Yale, SUNY Purchase, NYU, are the more well known that I can remember off-hand.

Then there are many more smaller with good lighting design teachers and programs, scattered across the country, University of Florida - Gainsville, Brooklyn - CUNY, NYC Tech - CUNY, Boston College, Adelphi, etc....

If you want to save money, you attend one of the "state" schools, pay full out-of-state-resident tuition for a year, establish state residency then you do your final 3 years at significantly reduced tuition.

So you have to narrow it down to what you can afford and where in the U.S.you want to go.

Typically the programs offer a BFA in Design & Production, with a major in Lighting Design. Some of the programs will also offer an MFA.

Are you absolutely 100% certain you want to pursue lighting as a career choice? Have you considered any other major? A life if production is not for the faint of heart. If there is truly nothing else you could see yourself doing, then dive in and go for it! But if you have any second thoughts, please explore your options.

I don't mean this specifically towards you @TechGeek, but as general food-for-thought for any high schooler considering this path. Lately I've been using the phrase "if there is anything else you could see yourself doing besides theatre, do that".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I am positive I want to pursue lighting design, I already work for a rental company and a theatre and dealt with the whole nine yards already.

I have been Looking at North Carolina, that seems to be the absolute best. Two of my friends went to SUNY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For some interesting data, you might want to go to http://www.hemsleylightingprograms.com

Every year since 1984 they have selected a student to intern in lighting in NYC. The intern page gives all of the recipients and their college. I would discount the first 5 to 10 years, but for the last 15 to 20 years this has been a competitive position.

You should also read the list of what the past interns are doing now. Some of them no longer do theatre as a profession. ( one of them is an FBI agent) IE don't be too sure that what you want to do now will be what you ends up doing with your life in 10 to 15 years. Get a diverse education.

As a SUNY Potsdam grad, not sure I agree.

On topic, I have trouble imaging an undergraduate degree is enough to get started. I got my BA, worked a year, and then went to Yale. The strong design tradition and proximity to NYC make YSD very hard to beat. I know some folks can't stand the Yale mafia but I'm thankful to be a part of it.

I'm sure some folks can and do make it without post secondary training of any kind but sure seems to be a surer path for some.

I guess it would also make a difference of the goal or segment of interest to the op - Broadway (which ithink includes the regionals), video, concert, architectural, or other.

On topic, I have trouble imaging an undergraduate degree is enough to get started. I got my BA, worked a year, and then went to Yale. The strong design tradition and proximity to NYC make YSD very hard to beat. I know some folks can't stand the Yale mafia but I'm thankful to be a part of it.

I'm sure some folks can and do make it without post secondary training of any kind but sure seems to be a surer path for some.

I guess it would also make a difference of the goal or segment of interest to the op - Broadway (which ithink includes the regionals), video, concert, architectural, or other.

Bill, my post was meant to be sarcastic.

You said you're in Jersey? Maybe take a look at Montclair. Didn't go myself but I have friends who did, they've said its good for what they're looking for and the proximity to NYC is great for them.

With the current cost of schools anyone who ever wants to be debt free won't be able to take this path. The only feasible model anymore is to get just enough schooling to get in the door and go from there.... Or have rich parents or a rich dead relative that liked you... The idea that everyone needs an MFA needs to die if we want this industry to continue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

With the current cost of schools anyone who ever wants to be debt free won't be able to take this path. The only feasible model anymore is to get just enough schooling to get in the door and go from there.... Or have rich parents or a rich dead relative that liked you... The idea that everyone needs an MFA needs to die if we want this industry to continue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Perhaps the growth in schools offering MFAs from the 60's for several decades was not warranted but I believe for some it is still the best path.

Which SUNY? There is at least a dozen of them that offer a theatre program of some type.
Sorry for the long time since I've been on here. I have been doing way to much to fit on to my plate, but I guess it happens.

The both went to SUNY Plattsburg.

You said you're in Jersey? Maybe take a look at Montclair. Didn't go myself but I have friends who did, they've said its good for what they're looking for and the proximity to NYC is great for them.
Thank you for this info. I will definitely look at Montclair too!

I just emailed UNCSA a day or two ago to setup my visit to look at their campus and program during my spring break. Can't wait to hear back from them. They are looking like my best option based off of their connections with various lighting and production companies, including Cirque du Soleil and Varilite.

If I were to be admitted to UNCSA it is also from what I looked at compared to other colleges to also be the cheapest while being in the top coming in at around 32k-35k a year.

!WOW! 35K X4 = $140,000, that is A LOT of money.

Thats is tuition alone?
Is room and board included?

Regardless that is massive debt to burden yourself with once you graduate.
Are they going to hook you up with some money?
I hope your parents are loaded ( I don't mean to sound rude saying that).
To my knowledge UNCSA does not give much money out to any one.

My two cents do not go there, any place that will put you in that much debt once your done at 22 ( if you finish in 4 years) I do not care how prestigious the name is, it is not worth it. Go somewhere that won't put you into massive debt, with student loan interest rates you will never pay that off.

Another part of my two cents but you will also have a stigma attached to you once you graduate. UNCSA is also known as North Carolina School of the Attitudes due to the entitlement their grades tend to have. I have worked with many colleagues in various parts of the industry who refuse to hire them based on that. They do know their stuff, all the ones I have met are sharp but I have only met two who did not have massive entitlement.

Again these are just my thoughts.

Have you looked at UNLV out in Vegas at all, they have a really good up and coming program and it is located in an entertainment Mecca.

Also look at non traditional education avenues.

www.fullsail.edu

Look at their show production program, Full Sail has had some bad rep in the industry but the organization has come a long way in the past ten years. You can get you associates in show production done in a year. It is still pricey but way less than what you wrote for UNCSA. It is worth checking out.

http://stagecraftinstitute.com

The stage Craft Institute of Las Vegas is definitely worth looking into. It is a 4 month program and you learn from industry leads, I have worked with people who teach there.

Both of these options have a lot of networking opportunities as well, they hold job fairs for the students once done from everything ranging to tours, install shows, av companies, production houses etc.

Stay close to NYC, find a state school with a theater major and at least 3 or 4 faculty/staff, and get a liberal arts degree while spending most of your time in the theater and working as many shows as possible. Volunteer to be tech host to outside groups. Try to find some experience in NYC evenings, weekends, vacations; and apply to larger summer theater s for work. Also, see as many shows as possible. Try to get out in less than four years and with as little debt as possible.

Then - if you still want to go into lighting - look for a professional training program for lighting design, like Yale or CM or NYU or a few others. You should be able to get enough aid after first year to keep debt under control.

If you could get some experience in a decent paying job between under graduate and professional training, which might help establish independence from parents for financial aid, consider that.

I will add that in counter to chaw... I have not heard all that good of respect for either full sail or stage craft, and I know and have worked with and like several UNCSA grads. But if you follow above path or similar, you'll know for yourself and not have to ask.

God luck. Its not an easy business or one that any credential can guarantee sucess, but I like it.

!WOW! 35K X4 = $140,000, that is A LOT of money.

Thats is tuition alone?
Is room and board included?
That's including a meal plan and dorm.

My mom isn't all to worried, she's got some Union friends who think I'm going to be getting quite a bit of scholarship money with the talent I have for my age... However when admission time comes I'll be 1 in 1500+ kids a applying for the same major.

My mom is saying that the 35k isn't too bad and other are saying that that is nothing compared to other schools. Her boyfriends sons tuition is almost 80k a year! So this is definitely nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back