Color Diffused Gel

Do you put the diffused side towards or away from the lamp?

• Diffused side towards the lamp

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Diffused side away from the lamp

• I've never really paid attention to that

• What are you talking about?

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DCATTechie

When using diffused color gel (I'm not aware of a more technical term, I'm talking about the gel that is colored and diffused in one sheet), Do you put the diffused side towards or away from the lamp?

If you are talking about colors like R120, R121, and R122 which are color diffusion then it doesn't matter how you orient the cut in the fixture. If you are talking about R124-R127 which are colored cyc-silks then orientation counts. For the cyc-silks, the orientation of the fibers should run perpendicular to the direction you want to spread the light. Other than that, it doesn't matter which side faces the lamp.

BTW: you are missing the choice in your poll for "It doesn't matter"

The orientation does matter.... in theory.
To get the most out of your diffusion media the defused side should face away from the lamp. any colour should be on the lamp side of the frame.
Does it make a difference in practice? likely not, but it is good to be consistent from one unit to the next.

this would apply to all defusion media, including the silks.

Last edited:
You would have to do some convincing to make me believe that it makes a difference. I certainly have never seen on in practice. If you are putting all the color media in one color frame the difference of tiny fractions of a millimeter just can't make that much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back