Color Kinetics Color Blaze

msavitt23

Hi, out theater is looking to change our cyc lights and we were looking at the Color Kinetics Color Blaze 72 (6ft.). Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they good for lighting up a cyc from a steep angle? Thanks

The ColorBlaze works very well in that application. See CB Search results for ColorBlaze.

If looking at new units, I'd recommend the Chroma-Q™ ColorForce™ 72.
proxy.php

It's a newer, "improved" version that's brighter and adds an amber circuit, as well as some other features. Also eats up to 48 channels of control, depending on mode.

Last edited:
I would have to agree with Derek on the Color Force. It is newer and brighter and has a larger color palette. However, if you have a source lined up for some cheap Color Blazes, they are good units. What size cyc are we talking though? I am using a bunch of them currently to light a small drop and they look great. I have some R104 silk on them currently to even out some small gaps, but they are in a very extreme case--about a foot from the drop.

I think there are better units out there (i.e. ETC Selador Series, etc.), but it all depends on your use and budget. Like I said, if you have a budget and are shopping around, I would keep looking, but if you have your hands on them or can get some cheap used ones or something, they will perform.

-Tim

Hi msavitt23, I work for Philips Color Kinetics as the North American product marketing manager, so I'm a little biased. That said, I respect the forum and promise to spare you the sales pitch.

To be honest, the ColorBlaze took the market by storm when it was fist introduced over seven years ago. It quickly became one of the most popular theatrical LED fixtures on the market. But over the last 12-18 months several new products have come out which are brighter and offer more features, including the ColorForce and the Selador Series mentioned above.

The ColorBlaze is a very reliable "work horse" and tends to be less expensive then the new compitition, but it only offers 3-channel (RGB) control and it isn't bright enough to evenly light a 40' tall cyc from just the top down.

However, this Fall we will launch the next generation ColorBlaze which promises to take the market by storm again, just like we did seven years ago. We completely redesigned the fixture from the ground up over the last two years. I can't get into too much detail, but you can get a sneak peak at Cinegear in Los Angeles June 3 – 6 www.cinegearexpo.com.

The ColorBlaze 72 is not going a way, and it may be a good option for you. But if you can wait until the Fall, the new ColorBlaze TRX will blow you away.

Let me know if you want to setup a demo at your theater. I should have samples available by late summer.

In the mean time, let me know if I can do anything esle to help you.

Chris Smith-Petersen
Product Marketing Manager
Philips Color Kinetics
3 Burlington Woods Drive
4th Floor
Burlington, MA 01803
(781) 418-9234 Office
(617) 309-0438 Mobile
(773) 409-5869 Fax
[email protected]
www.ColorKinetics.com

Attachments

• ColorBlaze TRX.jpg
    ColorBlaze TRX.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 325
Welcome csmithpetersen! I think you are the first rep from Color Kinetics to join our little community. Nice to have you here!

I like the ColorBlaze in a cyc lighting application. It's quite useful, and other then the lack of amber, has quite a decent color gamut. I'd use it for lighting cycs less than 25', or for translucent setpieces.

That said, as Smith Petersen said, it lacks the punch to hit a full 40' cyc. And the Color Force is pretty amazing. But just like the newer Color Blasts, every generation steps up the output. I'd definitely be interested in the BlazeTRX when it hits the market.

Last edited:
We're currently using Color Blasts to light a cyc. The downward throw is a bit too far but in our crowded fly space they're much better than any incandescent light. I'm interested in look at Color Blazes for the bottom of the cyc.

I may try to get a demo through PRG Dallas at some point. It's good to hear there is something in the works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back