Design color kinetics colorcast 14's ?

topjimmy

These fixtures total at 30watt and are about 13" long, nice wide display. Has any used these and would they suffice for wedding uplighting? Supposedly, they project upward to 13-15 feet. I know they're a bit older items but should still give nice saturated color displays I think.

thanks

Not seeing a "ColorCast" on the CK website.

Perhaps you mean ColorBlast ?, which is an RGB head in either 6" or 12" lengths, 25 or 50 watts ?.

I've use the Blast 12", running 10 across the bottom of a 50' wide black backdrop. Because it was a black curtain I can't comment on the intensity and beam qualities as compared to my normal incandescent cyc lighting. Very nice fixtures though, very smooth dimming curve and I found them to be brighter then expected. The shop I rent from doesn't stock the City Theatrical lenses available for these units, but I found good use for Rosco linear diffusion R104 to work well (and ton's cheaper for a one-off). The head some standard with a very long data/power cable that plug into the City Theatrical power supply. Set up was very quick and easy.

Are you looking at purchasing them for the purpose of uplighting, or do you already own them and want to know if they would work for uplighting? If the former, I would recommend looking at some of the newer LED products from Blizzard, Elation, and Chauvet that are brighter, more ergonomic, and probably competitively priced to used CK units. (I say probably because I don't know what sort of price you are getting/looking at/have gotten). Some of the new thin PARs and LED strips in the "cheaper" lines are really great for things like weddings.

As for the CK units themselves, I cannot attest to their functionality.

...Has any used these and would they suffice for wedding uplighting? Supposedly, they project upward to 13-15 feet. ...
I believe those are used on a show I'm doing right now. But, they're outlining scenery and pointed at the audience, so I can't really say what they would be like in a wall-washing application. There are quite punchy, but are only about one inch in diameter with a somewhat flimsy mounting bracket. Also need proprietary cabling.

I've seen demos of these units and they gave a reasonable output. If the room was not too bright they should work as well as any other 30 watt unit.

A couple of things to watch out for ( just in case you are not aware). The units are intended for permanent instalation architectural use. You will need to fabricate some kind of floor stand. You can't just plut them in and attach a dmx cable. You need special hardware to power the units and send control signal to them. Your dmx connects to the power supply with a connector you will have to fabricate. (or you can purchase CK control software if these are the only DMX equipment you have. )

Yeah, I know about the connectivity of the colorcast 14's.. they are a powercore product so PS is built into unit, so can daisy chain. Just need a data enabler and would use enttec dmx to usb pro jack and run from pc software. Would anybody be able to demo one or two as a wall washer? maybe send a pic or so... They're almost 14" long but I'm concerned in the light display if spreads at all or simply shoots vertically straight up like a column like appears verses a true wash flood appearance.

I believe those are used on a show I'm doing right now. But, they're outlining scenery and pointed at the audience, so I can't really say what they would be like in a wall-washing application. There are quite punchy, but are only about one inch in diameter with a somewhat flimsy mounting bracket. Also need proprietary cabling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back