Color Kinetics PDS-150e data question

xander

So I am designing a show at at theater that was just given 3 ColorBlast 12s and a CK PDS-150e. The space has an ETC Express 72/144. My problem is getting the 2 to talk. The PDS only has RJ45 connectors for data in and thru. My understanding is that the protocol is DMX, it is just running on CAT5 cable. Is this true? If I were to cut off the RJ45 and attach a 5-pin XLR, could I then plug it into my desk? I'd rather not do that, though, because the theater also has a CK Synchronizer (which only takes the RJ45 connector) to use outside the theater for fundraisers, etc. So, is there a simple 5-pin XLR to RJ45 adapter out there that I can use?

Thanks,
-Tim

Last edited:
See this document.

It's basically DMX with an RJ45 connector. You can use an adapter like this, just make sure you have the correct pin and gender configuration for whatever you choose to buy.

See this document.

It's basically DMX with an RJ45 connector. You can use an adapter like this, just make sure you have the correct pin and gender configuration for whatever you choose to buy.

Thank you. I have already read the document you linked to, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't give a pin-out of the data line. It just says connect DMX controller here. It says nothing about how...The adapter you linked to at Pro Adv says specifically that it is not compatible with Color Kinetics.

Still at square one.
-Tim

I have read that document. Thank you. I did not ask an unformed question like, "How do I address them?" I asked a very specific, yes/no question in which I stated the piece of software and made a comparison. Clearly I had read that document or had previous experience with a similar piece of equipment. I was looking for some simple affirmation that I am headed in the right direction. A "yes" would have sufficed.

Making an assumption from your profile that says you are an undergrad, I have been in this business much longer than you and I don't appreciate being treated like an amateur.

Tim-
Answer is Yes.
You can use either the QuickPlay Pro app with a SmartJack Pro USB dongle (which is really just a rebranded Enttec DMX USB Pro) and a 5pin XLR to RJ45 adapter as above, an iPlayer2 with Colorplay2 software or a Zapi unit.

Good find. Thank you. Assuming I made an adapter, to address the fixtures I have to use the QuickPlay Pro software, correct? The PDS doesn't have addressing like the PDS-750TR that I am use to.

Thanks!
-Tim

You should be able to run an ethernet line directly from your computer to the enabler, I believe there is a port on the enabler that says ethernet. Once you have addressed them, like you said, you can just run the DMX cable into the enabler and they will respond to what you have addressed them to.
I've been spending a lot of time with CK gear over the last year, so feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Making an assumption from your profile that says you are an undergrad, I have been in this business much longer than you and I don't appreciate being treated like an amateur.

That was unnecessary.

If you only have the in/out RJ45 ports, then you can't connect it to a regular ethernet network. The ports may look identical, but the wiring is different, making it electrically incompatible with switches and other networking gear. Some PDS units have an additional jack that is meant for a CK network, but you need a LSE server to make it all work

The simplest way to address is to use the DMX RJ45 port and connect it to one of the gadgets mentioned above. The Zapi is standalone and has a DMX RJ45 port on it. All you do is connect your colorblasts to the PDS, connect the DMX and enter the serial number and DMX address of each fixture and its done. You can probably find them on ebay for cheap if you plan on re-addressing fixtures more than a few times.

Thanks! Can't I just create a little network with a switch or router? Then, once I've addressed them, I will plug in the adapter and the DMX line?

-Tim

Last edited:
IIRC,
New Style PDS150s have both DMX and ethernet ports.
So you can run them either way.
Of course, the DMX are on RJ45, as well as the Ethernet port, but both are available.
You should be able to use the quickplay software to address the fixtures, without any additional hardware, assuming you have a crossover Ethernet cable, or a computer that autosenses the correct ethernet pinout.

Joshua Wood

If you only have the in/out RJ45 ports, then you can't connect it to a regular ethernet network. The ports may look identical, but the wiring is different, making it electrically incompatible with switches and other networking gear. Some PDS units have an additional jack that is meant for a CK network, but you need a LSE server to make it all work

The simplest way to address is to use the DMX RJ45 port and connect it to one of the gadgets mentioned above. The Zapi is standalone and has a DMX RJ45 port on it. All you do is connect your colorblasts to the PDS, connect the DMX and enter the serial number and DMX address of each fixture and its done. You can probably find them on ebay for cheap if you plan on re-addressing fixtures more than a few times.

That was unnecessary.

I agree with Mike,
Unnecessary, and silly,
Just because someone is a undergrad doesn't mean they might not know something that I don't know.
Perhaps he has used these fixtures much more often than you have, therefore is much more knowledgeable.
Especially since you seem to know very little about the said fixtures.

That being said, He pointed you to the exact page of the manual that answered the question you were asking.....

Joshua Wood

IIRC,
New Style PDS150s have both DMX and ethernet ports.
So you can run them either way.
Of course, the DMX are on RJ45, as well as the Ethernet port, but both are available.
You should be able to use the quickplay software to address the fixtures, without any additional hardware, assuming you have a crossover Ethernet cable, or a computer that autosenses the correct ethernet pinout.

Joshua Wood
I believe this is an old style. First of all, it looks very old, it came from an rental house and is in rough shape. Secondly, it looks as though all it has are DMX In, DMX Thru, Data Repeater, and Aux In ports.

At this point I am only asking for my education because we start tech on Thurs and I leave Sat morning so I don't have the time/money to get all of the equipment needed. I would like to leave the theater with a list of what they need to get them show ready, though.

I agree with Mike,
Unnecessary, and silly,
Just because someone is a undergrad doesn't mean they might not know something that I don't know.
Perhaps he has used these fixtures much more often than you have, therefore is much more knowledgeable.
Especially since you seem to know very little about the said fixtures.

That being said, He pointed you to the exact page of the manual that answered the question you were asking.....

Joshua Wood
I didn't in anyway make a statement or even an implication about his intelligence. I do not think that because I am older I must know more about everything. I wouldn't be on this forum asking questions if that were the case. I simply stated that I did not care for the way he was "answering" my questions. Linking to documents that don't answer the question or I have clearly already read and products that are not compatible with the equipment in question are not helpful responses.

To all that have provided helpful responses, I appreciate it.

So,
Using the "Wayback machine"
I did a bit of research, And it looks like the PDS150 hasn't changed in at least 6 years or so.
I must have been thinking of a different power supply that didn't have both DMX and Ethernet.

But the one you have doesn't have the Ethernet port?
Thats tough... I would suppose in that case you will have to get a zapi, or a smartjack pro.

I would suggest the smartjack if you can get one.
They are much more useful, and easier to use.

Joshua Wood

So can you use a Enttec DMX to USB with quickpro to address your CK fixtures?

So,
Using the "Wayback machine"
I did a bit of research, And it looks like the PDS150 hasn't changed in at least 6 years or so.
I must have been thinking of a different power supply that didn't have both DMX and Ethernet.

But the one you have doesn't have the Ethernet port?
Thats tough... I would suppose in that case you will have to get a zapi, or a smartjack pro.

I would suggest the smartjack if you can get one.
They are much more useful, and easier to use.

Joshua Wood

So can you use a Enttec DMX to USB with quickpro to address your CK fixtures?

Sorry,
I haven't tried it,
I assume they are the same, but I don't know it for a fact.
It is possible that Color kinetics loads custom firmware into the ones they sell....

I suppose it wouldn't take much to try it out though.
The quickplay software is a free download from colorkinetics.com

Let me know what you find out, I would be interested to know.

I also would love to know if I can use my smart jack pro with chamsys pc....

Joshua Wood

I read from the CK documentation, if you have an Ethernet Data Enabler that plugs into your home computer network switch, just use quickplay software and should be able to address your fixtures. Have to make sure pc is on same subnet as your PDS (must have ethernet out)... this would work for the CB12's and non powercore fixtures, however, not sure if would work for the powercore lineup since PS is built-in to fixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back