Color kinetics PDS 480 and multi-protocol converter Won't receive DMX

Hello everyone,

We are using and ion thought the network to a Response Unit. The console works perfectly. It controls all the other lights.

So we go DMX out of the Response Unit with a stander rj45 into a CK adapter that switches standard RJ45 DMX 2 CK DMX. Essentially it swaps around pin 1 and 2 and changes pin 3 and 7. I have the special adapter made by color kinetics for this. From there into the multi-part protocol converter out of the protocol converter to a poe switch. The Poe is what powers the multi-protocol converter.

From the unmanaged switch into the PDS 480.

This will not turn the lights on.

If I plug my computer in to the switch using color kinetics quickplay pro software I can see both the PDS 480 and the multi-protocol converter.

I can control the lights through the computer using the CK software but I can not send DMX.

I called color kinetics and they are being useless. They keep blaming ion. But I've also tried to send DMX via my swisson DMX tester.
I'm at a loss for word

Is there any one with suggestions?
Sorry for the ridiculously long message.
Merry Christmas and happy holidays.
JM

Switch your Swisson tester to "Receive DMX"and hook it up to the DMX out of the Response unit to make sure there is actually DMX levels coming out. By the way, if you browse this forum, that is not a ridiculously long message!:)

That is a lot of switching. Check you cables, check your connections. Add one piece of equipment to the chain til you find you aren’t putting out DMX.

Switch your Swisson tester to "Receive DMX"and hook it up to the DMX out of the Response unit to make sure there is actually DMX levels coming out. By the way, if you browse this forum, that is not a ridiculously long message!:)
Thank for
Hello everyone,

We are using and ion thought the network to a Response Unit. The console works perfectly. It controls all the other lights.

So we go DMX out of the Response Unit with a stander rj45 into a CK adapter that switches standard RJ45 DMX 2 CK DMX. Essentially it swaps around pin 1 and 2 and changes pin 3 and 7. I have the special adapter made by color kinetics for this. From there into the multi-part protocol converter out of the protocol converter to a poe switch. The Poe is what powers the multi-protocol converter.

From the unmanaged switch into the PDS 480.

This will not turn the lights on.

If I plug my computer in to the switch using color kinetics quickplay pro software I can see both the PDS 480 and the multi-protocol converter.

I can control the lights through the computer using the CK software but I can not send DMX.

I called color kinetics and they are being useless. They keep blaming ion. But I've also tried to send DMX via my swisson DMX tester.
I'm at a loss for word

Is there any one with suggestions?
Sorry for the ridiculously long message.
Merry Christmas and happy holidays.
JM
Hey all we solved it. The multi-protocol converter was working on Kinet at version 1 and the PDS was working on kinet version 2. A firmware upgrade to the multi-protocol converter solve the problem. Unfortunately tech support at color kinetics did not know that. I finally got a hod of a top systems designer at color kinetics and he solved the problem.
Thanks for everybody who helped

Always nice to see a success story within a day.

This new gear to you or always worked and just decided to update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back