color mixing help!

manders11

Okay, so I just did a dance recital with a director at my school and we began experimenting with colors. In the pars we used orange, a very unsaturated blue and a lime green color and it looked great! Now usually blue and green are mixed because of the RGB thingy and blue and orange are complementary so that works well. But, what if i was to use a saturated purple, the unsaturated blue and a yellow? The purple and the yellow are complementary to each other but the blue and the purple are so close on the color wheel will that give me an ugly color? I understand about complementary colors but when adding more than two lights with colors i am confused... Any advice?
Manders :)

Last edited:
Experimentation is the key, It sounds like it would be very interesting although i am thinking its going to be towards the cooler side. It definitely sounds interesting.

Okay, so I just did a dance recital with a director at my school and we began experimenting with colors. In the pars we used orange, a very unsaturated blue and a lime green color and it looked great! Now usually blue and green are mixed because of the RGB thingy and blue and orange are complementary so that works well. But, what if i was to use a saturated purple, the unsaturated blue and a yellow? The purple and the yellow are complementary to each other but the blue and the purple are so close on the color wheel will that give me an ugly color? I understand about complementary colors but when adding more than two lights with colors i am confused... Any advice?
Manders :)

Have you thought about setting up a small lightlab?

I would love to set up a light lab but, i feel that it would be a waste of my money. I guess i should just experiment with things but, I also feel that i will have to buy gels in order to experiment which would also waste my money. I was just looking for maybe some tips on choosing colors. It is a lot more confusing than it sounds.

Well your in a high school, do you have access to the gel inventory, just to use once in a while most directors are willing at least in high school to let you use two or three lights and a box of gels just to experiment.

Keep in mind that you don't necessarily have to use real stage lights in a light lab type setting. A few $10 clip lights from Lowe's will do the trick just fine.

proxy.php

You can get in-line lamp dimmers from them too, which also only cost about $10 each.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Note that the color wheel above follows neither the additive (RGB), nor the subtractive (CMY), color spaces.

So, using the color wheel i would use opposite colors to be complimentary but, let says i have three lights so i need three different colors i decide on violet and yellow, how do i choose the third color?
manders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back