Color Scroller

Hello! I just purchased a used Wybron "The Scroller". It is the 7" size. Since it's my first scroller, I have a few questions about it.

1: Should I make my own gel strings? Or order them pre-made online?

2: If ordering gel strings online, where do you recommend?

3: To attach the scroller to a Source 4, it looks like I will need a mounting plate which costs $46!? Is this really the only way to mount a S4 to the scroller?

Thanks Everyone!

Hi there! In response to your questions...

1 & 2. You should order them pre-made. If you go to www.gelstrings.com you can order pre-selected colors or create your own color string. The gel strings have a metallic ribbon on either end of the string that tells the scroller where the start and end points are. Without that ribbon, your scroller will continue to try to scroll even when it has reached the end of the roll.

3. The mounting plate is necessary. It is specially designed and sized to fit securely in the accessory slot of the Source 4. You should also always safety cable the scroller to the yoke of the Source 4.

If you have the gel, J-Lar tape, and time, then making scrolls yourself is pretty easy and can save you some money. You can find detailed instructions in the manual, here: http://www.wybron.com/stage-lightin...on/user-manuals/discontinued/THE_SCROLLER.pdf

As for mounting to a S4, the mounting plate is really the way to go. That being said, I've seen plenty of scrollers with "homemade" mounting plates made from heavier duty gel frames that had holes drilled to fit the scroller. I haven't worked with "The Scroller" in years, so I don't remember if you can even do this with this model.

Check the size of the current mounting plate, if it's 7.5" instead of 7" you could get by with the cheaper (~$30) 6.25" to 7.5" adapter made by City Theatrical. Part #1251.

... in the accessory slot of the Source 4.
The accessory slot is for a drop-in iris, gobo rotator, and the like. The scroller goes in the colorframe slot, which can also hold diffusion media and/or tophat.

sketch_57be88a954a2a.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back