Colorarc 2000

Hello Folks

First off, sound, not lights is my side of the booth, but I've rebuilt the power supplies for the spots in our theater a couple times simply because no one else has an interest. They are 2k long throws branded Colortran ColorArc 2000. Although they are 25 plus years old, they are a great light that Colortran imported from Japan and put their name on. The same product is still manufactured and in fairly wide use outside the US with the original manufactures brand "Xenonspot"

Problem is that either through long use, or perhaps a manufacturing defect a small dark spot developed on the reflector of one instrument. It seems the silver on the reflector was damaged causing the dark spot. Of course, the dark spot absorbed more heat ....which caused more discoloration ....which caused more heat to be absorbed ....which caused .....you get the picture. The spot with the darkened reflector now struggles to keep equal intensity even with it's mate on half power.

Unfortunately I can't just pop over to the Colortran store and pick up a new reflector. Brokers are selling the complete instrument for three or four thousand these days, but it would cost 4 to 5 times that to buy new equivalent spots and we would almost certainly need to replace both of them.

So I'm hoping that I might find one that no longer usable for one reason or another but still has a good reflector. If so, let me know here and we can work something out to both our advantage. Even if you just have a lead where one might be, I'd appreciate the info.

By the way, yes, I know new parts are still availabe from XenonSpot, but I haven't been able to find anything warehoused in the USA, and you can't belive what an expense and hassle it is to have it shipped from Osaka Japan.

If anyone can help, I'd sure appreciate it!

Jerry

Long shot, but PRG in New Jersey might have this unit, as they inherited (purchased) 4th Phase, who was once known as Production Arts, and I know PAL used these spots in rental a few decades ago.

Wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

Steve B.

Is it a glass reflector, if it is it can be re-surfaced.Well worth trying the Japanese website, it may not be as expensive as you think.

The followspot was made by Xebex in Japan which along with Christie Digital, Sanrex are divisions of Ushio
One might try Bill Younger Cinema Equipment in Florida with the dimensions of the reflector as he used to import a third party line of reflectors for the xebex cinema line and I believe the reflector in the followspot was used in one of their lamphouse lines as well

Also The Marble Company in Nashville - (800) 759-5905

They sell replacement reflectors for Strong Carbon follow spots and maybe can help or advise.

SB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back