Colorblast vs Colorblaze for cyc

We had a rental fall through and are now scrambling to find LED cyc lighting. We were going to rent 4 Chroma-Q Colorforce 72, but now it appears our choice is between Color Kinetics Colorblast 12 TR (24 of them) and CK Colorblaze 72. The cyc is 18 ft tall and we are washing from the front and top. Currently the position is 3.5 ft in front, but since we will be hanging pipe for it it be anywhere between 2 and 6 ft. Are either/both of these sufficient to cover top to bottom reasonably well? Will we get enough intensity out of them for vibrant color (i.e., not pastels)? Comparisons? Recommendations?

Any help would be appreciated. We wanted RGBA, but on short notice beggars can't be choosers. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a rental fall through and are now scrambling to find LED cyc lighting. We were going to rent 4 Chroma-Q Colorforce 72, but now it appears our choice is between Color Kinetics Colorblast 12 TR (24 of them) and 4 Chroma-Q Colorblaze 72. The cyc is 18 ft tall and we are washing from the front and top. Currently the position is 3.5 ft in front, but since we will be hanging pipe for it it be anywhere between 2 and 6 ft. Are either/both of these sufficient to cover top to bottom reasonably well? Will we get enough intensity out of them for vibrant color (i.e., not pastels)? Comparisons? Recommendations?

Any help would be appreciated. We wanted RGBA, but on short notice beggars can't be choosers.

Just helping out by making the post easily readable.

I'm confused. Both the Colorblast 12 TR and the Colorblaze 72 are Color Kinetics products, and they're very similar. If you're choosing between those two, I'd definitely go with the Colorblaze for cyc lighting. The Chroma-Q Color Force is also a really nice LED striplight, and I'd probably still recommend going with that over the Colorblast. Colorblasts are really nice, but frankly, needing to deal with individual homeruns and power supplies and getting 24 individual units to match focus will be more trouble than it's worth.

Caught the error. Thanks. I will edit it. Not sure why the tags are highlighted.
I'm confused. Both the Colorblast 12 TR and the Colorblaze 72 are Color Kinetics products, and they're very similar. If you're choosing between those two, I'd definitely go with the Colorblaze for cyc lighting. The Chroma-Q Color Force is also a really nice LED striplight, and I'd probably still recommend going with that over the Colorblast. Colorblasts are really nice, but frankly, needing to deal with individual homeruns and power supplies and getting 24 individual units to match focus will be more trouble than it's worth.

Given the choice between 24x Colorblast12TR and 4x Colorblaze72, I'd have to choose the ColorBlasts, unless your cyc is only 24' wide. Yes, individual units are more trouble to hang, circuit, and focus, but LED battens only work well if they are continuous end to end. I've also found battens to work best when they are 6-12" from the cyc, and 2-4' above (below) any visible area.
CB72_cyclts floor.jpg

Now, if given the choice between CK Blast/Blaze and Chroma-Q Force12/Force72, no contest.

The TRX is certainly an improvement over the TR, however, in my head to head testing, the Colorforce 12 certainly blew away the ColorBlast 12 TRX. Haven't been able to test any of the longer models.

To LBCSeattle, it is certainly worth looking into if anyone else if your area has ColorBlast TRX, PixelRange, Martin or Chauvet battens.

Hey LBCSeattle, I've rented several times in the Seattle area and I have used both the Colorblazes and the mentioned Pixelrange fixtures (both available either from Hollywood lights or Christie) I prefer the colorblazes, however ask for lens options. The colorblazes have a very narrow beam spread that I once used to make just a wall of light and it had a very minimal beam spread, so just make sure to ask for that and then find out which degree of diffusion works best for your exact situation.

Tip with the blazes - run a sheet of frost, or visqueen to help the led colors blend better on the surface. I would totally choose blazes if you can go end to end, but otherwise blasts help you to even the spacing to make it look like no random gaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back