ColorSource CYC

Tyler Lindsley

Hello, am in the process of writing grants to get some more lighting fixtures, and our main priority is cyc lighting. One grant is for the ETC ColorSource CYC. Has anyone used these units on a 16'high by 35' wide cyc? How many? And do you have any pictures you could share?

Last edited:
Hello, am in the process of writing grants to get some more lighting fixtures, and our main priority is cyc lighting. One grant is for the ETC ColorSource CYC. Has anyone used these units on a 16'high by 35' wide cyc? How many? And do you have any pictures you could share?

The ETC Cyc Tool won't steer you wrong. You need to know what setback(s) you will install them at, and I suggest keeping the "horizontal blend" slider on the "best" half of the scale and get the most you can afford within the range the tool spits out (gives you flexibility with placement, and they are really handy compact fixtures for set washing and such too). You'll be very happy with them for a 16' height. My guess is you'll end up with between 6 and 12 across.

I calculated via their app - says we'd only need 4, but this grant exceeds that amount, so I put in for 7, and a few traditional source four parnels for specials. Fingers crossed!

Yeah four definitely doesn't sound like enough to me. Get as many as you can afford and cram them in. I have 7 Chauvet Ovation Batten Cyc lights and I've got them end to end a continuous strip of cyc light with no gaps in between. It lets me do some amazing wipes and gradients by having control of that many cells. Also you get a ton of overall fire power by having that many fixtures, which in turn allows me to turn them way down and do some really cool subtle stuff at really low intensities. It'll make all your night scenes way cooler having more lights.

Or you can do a top and bottom row and do crazy blends from top to bottom!

Reverse on the cyc tool suggests you are 8'-9" from drop? To get 4 to work with "best" horizontal blend? Not many people have that much distance. Also, not too bright - color may not show through front light.

For 35', I'd specify 7 and hope I could get 5' away. Old fashioned rule of thumb but the lighting is terrific. And except for hassle of floor units, a row at top and bottom would be wonderful - and I'd probably settle for 6 in each row.

So we have a 22’x70’ cyc. Once legs are in you really only see about 20’x55’ of the cyc. Units themselves are kept at 22’. I believe the app suggested 6 units for best coverage of a 20’x50’ cyc at a 5’ set back. I went ahead and got seven so I had a center unit and just to make sure the coverage was there. I then contacted ETC and was able to get some to use in a dance recital to see if I liked them. I’d recommend doing that before spending that much money. I love them and they do a great job. It lights the entire cyc fairly well. However, a ground row would certainly make it even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back