ColorSource40

Hi all.
I have looked at recent threads, they seem to have died out.
I am looking at the ColorSource 40AV for our community Theater. We currently have an Express 24/48 and have 6 LED PAR's which give us a very marginal color wash and are looking to purchase perhaps 12 more.
The ones we have take 9 channels for all the parameters , and with more, we will run out of channels. ETC tells me the ColorSource 40 (and 20) use only one channel for multi-parameter fixtures. This no doubt applies to their ColorSource Par (served by 5 pin DMX) , but I ask those who have this board to assure me that it will also be able to address the parameters of my legacy LED pars served by 3 pim DMX (and new LIKE instruments) using one channel per instrument. I trust this is true, but would like confirmation.
Thanks.
John

You are correct, your 3 pin fixtures will still work with the ColorSource. You will need an adapter to connect to the fixtures, and the RDM features of the ColorSource line won't work for those fixtures. But everything else will.

You are correct, your 3 pin fixtures will still work with the ColorSource. You will need an adapter to connect to the fixtures, and the RDM features of the ColorSource line won't work for those fixtures. But everything else will.

RDM should be running on pins 2 and 3 according to the specs, so you shouldn't need 5 pin dmx cable for that.

... This no doubt applies to their ColorSource Par (served by 5 pin DMX) , but I ask those who have this board to assure me that it will also be able to address the parameters of my legacy LED pars served by 3 pim DMX (and new LIKE instruments) using one channel per instrument. I trust this is true, but would like confirmation.
Whether the fixtures use 3 or 5 pin XLR is immaterial. As long as there is a fixture profile (either already in the console, created via a request to ETC, or home-built by oneself) it's one channel=one fixture.

So the ColorSource40AV can control up to 80 automated/LED fixtures spread across 1024 DMX addresses: either 1-512 and 513-1024 using the two DMX outputs, or 1024 addresses over (up to) five universes using sACN and nodes. Probably not the right console if the installation contains more than about 48 traditional dimmers, however.

Thanks all.
We have two SmartPacks, 24 dimmers and 30 conventional instruments, which is why all additional instruments we buy will be LED (in addition to the fact that this is the way to go anyway)
John

If you are doing mostly theatrical performances as opposed to busking bands, you might consider a computer based control solution.

There is something to be said for actual physical controls. Just did a show with a 32 year old LD who needed everything to fit on to one of the 96 faders of the Express. Had to double up some stuff in the soft patch to get the last 5 channels onto faders (items such as relays and scrollers are the first things I let fall off the edge of the faders)

Reactions: Van
I had a chance to demo the CS 40AV a couple months ago. It is perfect for theaters that have smaller number of conventionals (less than 40), LEDs, and maybe a couple of movers. I really liked the console. It was easy to use, patch, and operate. The SFX capabilities are a plus as well. If you have 30 conventionals now, and some LEDs with the ambitions of getting more, you probably won't run out of channels. In my opinion, this console seems perfect for your application.

You asked if the CS 40AV could control 'legacy' LEDs. As others have stated, it depends on wether or not there is a fixture profile built into the console or not. If so, you will be able to use a 5 pin to 3 pin DMX adaptor to deliver DMX data to your fixtures.

Thanks all.
We have two SmartPacks, 24 dimmers and 30 conventional instruments, which is why all additional instruments we buy will be LED (in addition to the fact that this is the way to go anyway)
John
Our theater is in exactly the same situation... we have replaced our old board with a colorsource 40 and are now deciding what LED's to phase in. Would love to exchange info and experiences.

ColorSource PARs have proven to be at the sweet spot of quality vs price. Anything less is not as bright or has "issues" with DMX or cheap construction or just limited features. You can spend a lot more and get better color or special features.

Also know that there are new fixtures on a monthly basis. Prices change and older gear gets updated. Nothing will be an exact match from year to year. ETC and some others are trying but they are fighting a revolution in process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back