Conventional Fixtures Colortran 5/50 fixtures

itie

so i was starting to draft out my theatre and was wondering what the best way to tell the type of fixture we have. all i know is that we have the 5/50 series. so how do i tell which fixture is which degree.

thank you
giovanni

Two standard conventions:
1. Write the field angle in the symbol on the lens tube, (Vectorworks' stock symbols follow this, but the lettering is small and gray, so many people edit the symbol to make the lens designation more prominent).
2. The USIIT Graphic Standards is as follows:
4.5x6.5, 50° - a wide "V" in the lens tube
6x9, 36°, 40° - blank symbol
6x12, 26°, 30° - single slash through lens tube
6x16, 19°, 20° - double slash through lens tube
6x22, 14°, 10°, 5° - line parallel to lens, or two short lines perpendicular, or use larger/longer symbol.
See Prefect's Pages.. Publications .. IQP .. Instrument Plots, or USITT Standards website, for more information.

edit: I misunderstood the question, as the OP mentioned drafting.
What I did when I had a flock of Colortran Mini Ellipses, which had movable lens, was just to write the degree on a piece of white gaffers tape on the yoke near the C-clamp. Saved a lot of frustration (with the beamspread, anyway).

Last edited:
Interesting that this is brought up, as I was just looking at some a couple days ago. (The church were I work has 5/50s.) On the yoke, there is a label (if it is still there) that show the different lens positions for the different lens trains. Basically, by comparing the lens position(s) to the diagram, you can figure it out.

And while we're on the subject, anyone know a good source of parts for these fixtures?

it works like this:

20 degree: 6*9 lens in position 3, 4.5 inch diameter field stop in position 2

30 degree: 6*9 lens in position 3, 6 inch field stop in position 2, 4.5*9 lens in position 1

40 degree: 6*9 lens in position 2 and the 4.5*9 lens in psition 1

The manual is available from the NSI Leviton website at:

Ellipsoidals 5/50 > Fixtures > Theatrical Equipment > Lighting Management Systems > All Leviton Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

Spares are available through a Colortran dealer check the NSI website for one near you.

thanks but i was wondering if there was a way to tell without taking it apart. and i looked today for some labels on the lens barrels and there are non.

thanks
Giovanni

On C'tran lekos, if the label isn't on the fixture at all then you're pretty much forced to take apart the fixture. (The label must have worn off or something on yours, the ones I use have the label right on the fixture showing the degree)

you can tell without turning it on just look into the fron of the lens barrel if the lens is about one thirds of the way from the front then it is eithet a 20 degree or a thirty degree. If the lens is two thirds of the way from the front it is a forty degree. To differentiate a tweny from a thirty look to see if you can see the metal donut close behind the lens if so it is twenty degree.

Note on the older Colortrans if the lens is really close to the front it is a 15 dgree that uses a 6*12 lens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back