ColorTran ColorNet

Edrick

Premium Member
So I've read the basic info about ColorNet for the Innovator Series boards. But what exactly can you use it for? How do you use it to remotly view the screen of the board, and so on.

So I've read the basic info about ColorNet for the Innovator Series boards. But what exactly can you use it for? How do you use it to remotly view the screen of the board, and so on.

Typically, the remote device (node) is connected to the console via Cat5 Ethernet wiring. The remote device - such as a C-Tran NPC-DHV node, receives the Colortran specific data signal, and allows a monitor(s) to be plugged into the node. The remote monitor(s) repeat the console monitor signal, and allow the designer sitting at a location remote from the console, to view channel and cue data. As opposed to continually having to ask for levels on channels, or having to cue a show from the console location.

Other uses are:

- Having a console display available to the stage manager to view cue progress, or to have a node on stage with a monitor and remote console device (commonly called a Remote Focus Unit) for focus calls.

- Connection of nodes to allow input or output of devices sending/requiring DMX, such as recital console, moving lights, color scrollers, etc...

It's general practice these days for a theater to have Cat5 wiring installed throughout the space to allow the connection of assorted nodes, as needed for a variety of purposes.

SB

ah so pretty much useless for us. we have wiring for the network throughout our theater in the house (so useless for this situation) but it doesn't connect into the colornet ethernet line that's ran to the back booth to the front electrical closet where our dimmer rack is.

ah so pretty much useless for us. we have wiring for the network throughout our theater in the house (so useless for this situation) but it doesn't connect into the colornet ethernet line that's ran to the back booth to the front electrical closet where our dimmer rack is.

This sounds like a new('ish) installation, with a booth located Innovator, dimmer racks that receives ColorNet, a node that spits out video and zero taps in the theater of on-stage to hook up the node ?.

You might want to confirm that, as it sounds odd that a system would get installed in such a way - though I can believe it's true, as well.

In any event, you can always get an inexpensive 4 or 5 port Cat5 switcher, place it next to the console, run (via a 5ft Cat5 cable) the Colornet output of the Innovator into the switcher next to the console, then 1 feed to dimmers, another as a 100ft Cat5 cable, out the window and to the node at the design table - would be one typical setup.

You can run up to 300ft of Cat5 cable in a single run, without the need to add a switcher, just don't jump 2 or 3 pieces together with female/female couplers. So maybe a temp run to the stage could be added.

SB

it's a brand new install about a year old. alls we have is a i96 rack, and the console in the booth. the faceplate in the booth has 3 dmx a b c, colornet, and hhr remote.

and when we were left with the board the dmx and the ethernet to colornet were connected. how ever our system was never using colornet so i pulled the network cable today. I was just wondering what the exact usage for colornet would have been.

it's a brand new install about a year old. alls we have is a i96 rack, and the console in the booth. the faceplate in the booth has 3 dmx a b c, colornet, and hhr remote.
and when we were left with the board the dmx and the ethernet to colornet were connected. how ever our system was never using colornet so i pulled the network cable today. I was just wondering what the exact usage for colornet would have been.
well i dont think the equipment is a year old though. It is about 2.5 yrs old. But that is relativly new if you think of it.

In addition, if ran the colrnet to a NPC or DHV and wired the dmx out of the NPC or DHV to your rack you could then use colornet to transfer your DMX data to the NPC or DHV outputs via ethernet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back