Colortran Cyc Strip color frame?

MrCellophane

Hi everyone,

A friend gave me a dozen two-circuit Colortran Model 108 Cyc Strips, but they don't have color frames. Is there anywhere that would still sell them? What about making my own? Or should I just use clothespins?

Thanks

Walmart?

proxy.php

each measures 15.5" X 14.75"

But seriously, I believe @ship disposed of a bunch of FarCyc s recently. Perhaps he kept the frames?
You might try City Theatrical. I'd use large binder clip s.

I probably saved a few stacks.... - you know me well. Believe I remember two versions of them How many do you need, and does this include extra's for gel changes during a show? PM me and keep reminding me in PM as I'm really busy on an off site install for the next couple of months & in the shop to find them only a few days a month. Otherwise easy enough to fabricate out of pallet banding strapping as long as you have a good drill bit and speed for drilling thru the high carbon steel of the banding material.

Where are you located? Shipping gel frames adds up in weight of shipping costs a lot! Check them RSC lamp sockets for spring tension and condition / arched. Sometimes a gift will be a lot of materials and time spent to make them work properly. Unless you want blown lamps during shows in using them. Open them up and check the wiring also.

I have stacks of "used" lamps also, what wattage are you using? 500w or 1Kw?

Thanks guys. I checked the fixtures and their frame is rectangular and approximately 10 3/8" by 14 1/4".

I agree that "free" fixtures can end up costing a lot of money to make them work. I have some time for them this summer and I'm hoping that with minimal overhauling they can do a better job than the 120w-lamped R40 strip lights we currently use.

Have you had problems with 1KW lamps fading gels in open-faced fixtures?

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 154
Didn't I already send out a bunch of gel frames and lamps a few months ago? Must have been to someone else.

I'll check stock at work tomorrow, Believe I still have a few stacks of each.
I also have lots of various other parts especially 360/360Q stuff. PM me with what you are looking for.

Check your lamps & lamp bases for arching. Might find a swivel automotive repair swivel mirror on a stick and a flash light is the best way of inspecting. RSC cyc lights are notorious for lamp sockets going bad & taking the lamp with it, than destroying all future lamps like a virus. A Dremmel tool with silicone abrasive fiber wheel should be able to clean them. Spray some Sprayon EL2001 or coat fresh brite work of bases with high temp. deoxident - it will help preserve their life. If the lamp bases are not salvageable, I probably have lots of lamp bases and reflectors about also. Open the fixtures up and inspect the wiring.

On gel, depends on the saturation. Colortran cycs run cooler than Altman Cyc's though, also given its a two lite instead of a six lite it's not going to get anywhere near as warm.

Last edited:
Searched four huge storage buildings for them amongst other things on current projects, and even my "bat cave" and home storage. Might have been recycled the rest of them. Might not, but I cannot find them - they are not where I found the last lot of them. There was a CB past discussion on how to weld such gel frames from pallet banding material if needing the gel frames soon.... 3M Scotch #69 high temperature fiberglass electrical tape can tape gel to a fixture in a well done way. Or hope for the touring industry to come back some day. At that point inventory management will be better in finding stuff retired from inventory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back