Control/Dimming Colortran Dimension 192

JowensSF

Hello,
Ive recently become master electrician at a new space. We have a Colortran Dimension 192 rack and three 12 channel packs. I really don't know much about these systems. I come from a theatre with an ETC sensor rack, so this is a whole new realm for me. Ive been trying to find a user manual for these racks, but have been unsuccessful. I was hoping some one knew where I could find one, or if one even exists.

Also we have been having a problem with our system, well maybe a few problems. A little background on our system first. I have 2 spaces that share one dimmer rack. Theatre 1 is running an ETC Element with a Leviton DMX to CMX converter and uses Dimmer 1 thru 92. Theatre 3 uses the remaining dimmers in the rack. In Theatre 3 we have an ETC Express with a Leviton DMX to CMX converter. I have to make sure that designers don't accidentally patch to dimmers in the other space. Theatre 2 has an Element with a Leviton DMX to CMX converter as well, but that one is running off of 3 12 channel Colortan Dimension 192 dimmer packs. So that one is completely separate from the other two theatres. I believe this space used to be a TV studio. As far as problems go:

1. Recently when you shut off the Element in Theatre 1, as it powers down lights will turn on by themselves (my predecessors called this "Ghosting"). Sometimes when this happens it will turn on dimmers in Theatre 3. I'm wondering if there is a way of preventing this?

2. We have had lights "Ghost" on in the middle of the night by themselves. We notice them when we enter the space the next morning. I try restarting the powering up the light board first. If that doesn't work I power cycle the DMX converter. If that still doesn't work I power cycle the Dimmer pack. And if that doesn't work I swap out the dimmer pack. That usually sloves the problem. From what ive been told its the Silicon Power Cube. Some of the dimmers still have what I think is their original power cube. Some of them have a 40DR2D Power Cube like this one. (definitely a dead one)
20181215_150804.jpg

Others have two 50R2D Power cubes.
20181215_150832.jpg

We have extra dimmer packs, but eventually I'm going to run out. Is this the part I need to replace to get them working again? I haven't been very successful at finding replacements for these.

3. This one is less of a problem and more of a general question. As we are getting more LED fixtures in the future, does some company make a Relay module for this dimmer rack. So I can leave an address parked on at full in the Element and have it turn on power to my LED fixtures. Then turn off when it loses signal from the board.

I would definitely appreciate any help you guys can give.

Thanks

Your best source for pro help and parts and service is Steve Short at Lite Trol. They rebuilt a 5 rack system for me and is fantastic.

D192s seem more sensitive to dirt and dust and heat than most. Keep them clean.

You'll get some more help here - just a start

The D192 rack is very robust. Steve Short at Lite-Trol is definitely the guy to call. Very helpful. He converted the control modules on a D192 system from CMX to DMX on a rack for me. Although it does not seem to appear on the Lite-Trol website, they do sell a relay module for the D192 rack thru an arrangement with Johnson Systems. It is based on the JSI CD-80 relay module. You can see it on the Johnson Systems website: go to Retrofit Controllers, then Non-Dim Modules, then D192. I'm sure he can source power cubes for you too.
Can't say enough good things about both Lite-Trol and Johnson Systems.

Ditto Steve at Litetrol, he knows everything about Colortran gear. Remember to ask f he manufactures a relay for the D192, which as BTW is a very good dimming system, no real need to replace if you can get it working correctly.

A thought for “partioning” the dimmers at the consoles. The Eos series, of which Element is one of the consoles, allows you to define the range of DMX addresses a console will talk to, you do this in the shell (Settings) if you click on the 5-4-3-2-1 countdown button at startup. It’s on page 259 of the v2.1 user manual for legacy Elements (you can download from the ETC site at ETCConnect.com), described as “Settings - Network Settings - Output Protocols - Allowed Output Addresses”. You can set a range of DMX addresses - dimmers, that each console in Theatre 1 & 3 will control. That should solve the problem of a console (and operator) sending data to a different theaters dimmers. This might help the ghosting crosstalk between spaces as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back