Colortran Dimension192 Rack

Recently one of our colortran racks shut down due to overtemp. The other two are right next to it and doing just fine in a 70 degree room. Does anyone have a manual for it? Fans are working great. Swapped out the control modules with ones from the working racks and still in overtemp. Does anyone know where are the temp sensors are located? thanks!

A common cause is a vane switch in the air steam and it gets dirty and doesn't stay "up" which initiates the over temp. Clean it and worse case for temp tie it up - very risky - and ultimately probably replace it. Steve Short at Lite-trol does these very well. Consider a simple upgrade and tune up and probably will go another 20 years or more.

I assume BGW that was to the OP but the one LiteTrol just serviced for me was 6 racks - albeit with only 48 modules/96 dimmers each. Lets face it that the CD80 and D192 are about as robust of dimmer module as one can imagine and probably after infant power cube mortalities in the first, will work for a very long time if not toasted - so keeping fans working and an occasional filter cleaning and vacuuming to get dust out. The card cage and electronics - CEM in today's parlance - is probably a 10-20 year max component - but there are lots of very good retrofit electronics.

I must say I get really perturbed when a vendor or sales rep insists that all the racks need to be replaced when some simple maintenance and CEM upgrade is all that is required. That was the case with the referenced project - $400,000 to replace the entire system, and now they have a like new system - for well under $50,000 - and since they got the total amount approved for stage lighting , are getting hundred and some new fixtures, new easier to relamp house lights (what in my not so humble opinion was the biggest single need because of safety and time) , a new network, two IONs (two spaces), all new curtains, and some other maintenance work.

So consider that when you debate retaining the services of a consultant, and I don't mean a sales rep that claims to offer consulting or who has any interest what-so-ever in the actual sales of specific products.

... I must say I get really perturbed when a vendor or sales rep insists that all the racks need to be replaced when ...
How about ripping out ten full racks of Brand X, replacing them and adding ten racks of Brand Y, then only a few years later ripping those out to install twenty racks of Brand X3 ?

"Some people have more money than common sense" as my dad used to say.

I assume BGW that was to the OP but the one LiteTrol just serviced for me was 6 racks - albeit with only 48 modules/96 dimmers each. Lets face it that the CD80 and D192 are about as robust of dimmer module as one can imagine and probably after infant power cube mortalities in the first, will work for a very long time if not toasted - so keeping fans working and an occasional filter cleaning and vacuuming to get dust out. The card cage and electronics - CEM in today's parlance - is probably a 10-20 year max component - but there are lots of very good retrofit electronics.

I must say I get really perturbed when a vendor or sales rep insists that all the racks need to be replaced when some simple maintenance and CEM upgrade is all that is required. That was the case with the referenced project - $400,000 to replace the entire system, and now they have a like new system - for well under $50,000 - and since they got the total amount approved for stage lighting , are getting hundred and some new fixtures, new easier to relamp house lights (what in my not so humble opinion was the biggest single need because of safety and time) , a new network, two IONs (two spaces), all new curtains, and some other maintenance work.

So consider that when you debate retaining the services of a consultant, and I don't mean a sales rep that claims to offer consulting or who has any interest what-so-ever in the actual sales of specific products.

Anyone know of a vendor for some Dimmer modules. I got a rack with 60 dimmers, 56 stage fixtures, 4 houselights. Any thoughts on how to acquire the tech and personnel to install more dimmer pairs and run cable for more circut drops? Our venue has reached the point that another a full 96 rack would really fill out our space.

Anyone know of a vendor for some Dimmer modules. I got a rack with 60 dimmers, 56 stage fixtures, 4 houselights. Any thoughts on how to acquire the tech and personnel to install more dimmer pairs and run cable for more circut drops? Our venue has reached the point that another a full 96 rack would really fill out our space.

I don't know the details of your space or infrastructure but a lot of ways to approach that. You also do not include anything about where you are, and that has an impact, especially as far as being able to help. Feeder size will determine a lot and if it's inadequate to substantially increase the lighting or not; or whether distributed dimming and some LED is the way to stretch it. Also can't just increase lighting without looking at cooling loads if relevant. Again, no idea where in the world you are. And is the existing gear worth retaining? There is plenty that is not. I'll suggest that practically anything with the name "HUB" on it is not worth saving. A few others I imagine.

So lots of ideas for your question but need a lot more info to narrow it to the good ones. And of course the institution - the Owner - must understand it won't be free.

I don't know the details of your space or infrastructure but a lot of ways to approach that. You also do not include anything about where you are, and that has an impact, especially as far as being able to help. Feeder size will determine a lot and if it's inadequate to substantially increase the lighting or not; or whether distributed dimming and some LED is the way to stretch it. Also can't just increase lighting without looking at cooling loads if relevant. Again, no idea where in the world you are. And is the existing gear worth retaining? There is plenty that is not. I'll suggest that practically anything with the name "HUB" on it is not worth saving. A few others I imagine.

So lots of ideas for your question but need a lot more info to narrow it to the good ones. And of course the institution - the Owner - must understand it won't be free.

I thought I has my area in the my profile, whoops. We are metro NYC, northern NJ. The rack "in theory" has available slots for more dimmer pairs but i don't know if the wiring is there behind the slots for them. The Main service Disconnect looks like it's got but that lame description is about as good as i can do with my knowledge of that kind of electrics. Maybe worth it to give PRG a call and have someone come out take a long look at the system as a whole, rack, main power feeds. We actually have 2 backup CEM's for the rack, and it's in good working order and repair. I just have to swap out the occasional Powercube.

Rack is a LMI CD80

Money can probably be found as it was pointed out earlier in the thread it it's way simpler to expand our tank of rack then rip out and install a new one.

Last edited:
"LMI CD80" is probably not correct.

LMI was a manufacturer of dimmers, consoles and accessories in Rochester that got absorbed by ETC in the 80's.

CD80 is the brand of dimmers as manufactured by Strand Lighting.

Two entirely separate and different companies. So either/or (or none of the above)

PRG and Barbizon are two companies in the NYC area that can do a system analysis and advice you on how to expand. They probably will not have used LMI or CD80 dimmers and would want to sell you a new rack(s).

Or call Steve Short at Litetrol Service in Hicksville (516 681-5288). He stocks dimmers for both system and can keep the system up and running.

Another question if this is a publicly funded school is, are you allowed to spend tax monies on used equipment. I work for a school funded by the State of NY and we are not, as example. So that might be your first step to get squared away - funding.

Then you can deal with existing feeder sizes, code issues, age of the system, especially the wiring and electrical distribution and the advisability of upgrading existing or replacement.

LMI was a manufacturer of dimmers, consoles and accessories in Rochester that got absorbed by ETC in the 80's.

Two entirely separate and different companies. So either/or (or none of the above)

PRG and Barbizon are two companies in the NYC area that can do a system analysis and advice you on how to expand. They probably will not have used LMI or CD80 dimmers and would want to sell you a new rack(s).

Or call Steve Short at Litetrol Service in Hicksville (516 681-5288). He stocks dimmers for both system and can keep the system up and running.

Another question if this is a publicly funded school is, are you allowed to spend tax monies on used equipment. I work for a school funded by the State of NY and we are not, as example. So that might be your first step to get squared away - funding.

Then you can deal with existing feeder sizes, code issues, age of the system, especially the wiring and electrical distribution and the advisability of upgrading existing or replacement.

Good options. You could also hire a consultant who is independent of manufacturers and vendors and get an objective analysis and who watches out only for your interests.

Wow, don't know how i messed that up.
It is a "LMI L86" there's still an 8 in there, I'm going to call it a brain fart.

And we are a private institution.

Thanks for the input, I think i might reach out Literol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back