Conventional Fixtures Colortran ERS lens cushions

Ross

I have an inventory of colortran lekos that I'm trying to fix up/maintain and the barrels over the many long years have been changed to varying degrees, 2-3 times per year over the past 25 years I'd guess. Because of the age and use, many of the lenses in the barrels have nothing to cushion them from banging around in the lens slot causing chips and cracks, etc. Anyone know where I can find replacement padding of some sort to keep these poor lenses from breaking?

If I recall correctly, Colortran MiniEllipses never had any lens cushioning. The lenses just sat in upper and lower "C" shaped pieces of metal.

Try the weather stripping dept. of your favorite hardware store. I'm thinking you could cut many 1/2" long pieces out of one 36" long rubber C-channel.

These aren't minis, though we have our share of those. I'm referring to the FEL 1k lamp fixtures.

Ross,

I am assuming you are using the 5/50 fixtures. If so the lens cushions you refer to are made from a silicone compound and they are available from Leviton - the service manual is available from their website.

However an alternative that works - which I use in my 5/50s is to cut a rectangle of either cork gasket or rubber gasket material purchased from the local auto supply shop. The rectangle is 0.5 inch by 0.25 inch. This material can cope with the temperatures found in fixtures - it copes with the temperatures in a car engine. I have fixtures that I did this with 4 years ago that are working fine. Unlike the original silicone material it doesn't stick and tear when you need to re position a lens to change the beam width.

You could cut bumpers out of a silicone bake ware product
proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back