colortran far cyc question.

linds2888

I am currently working at a theatre with these 3 celled cyc lights. I have never been in this space before. I had just sat down to the board to explore when one of the gel frames fell. They dont have a lift, nor a fly system. When I looked up at the lights I noticed that the opening where you slide the gel frame and safety screen in was pointing down. On the top side there was a lip that looked like it should be on the bottom to prevent gels from falling. I am wondering if these instruments were hung upside down. Any thoughts? (We have had two more frames fall and they won't let me up to fix it.

Unfortunately, it isn't uncommon to see this happen. Cyc lights often end up hung and not moved while the cyc does, or people see the asymmetrical reflector and don't understand. In this case, you need to get up there because they are now a safety issue. If they won't do anything get it in writing. You need to make it clear that they are responsible for the unsafe situation that has been created. Furthermore, the missing gels will probably sect your design.

...They don't have a lift, nor a fly system. ... Any thoughts? (We have had two more frames fall and they won't let me up to fix it.
How does the venue propose to get the colorframes back into the lights, or to replace a failed (burned-out) lamp?

It does sound as though the fixtures are upside-down. On asymmetric-reflector flood lights (sometimes called J-shaped reflector units) the lamp should be at the top of the reflector when lighting a cyc from the top.

proxy.php

Far Cycs > Fixtures > Theatrical Equipment > Commercial Lighting > All Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

So I am right in saying they are upside down. They tried to tell me hey were hung by lighting people who knew what they were talking about so they couldn't be wrong. I can't really get paper work on it because its just the janitor here at the high school. I taped the **** out of them so they won't fall for our two dance shows, then I am taking all the frame sout and leaving a note.

How does the venue propose to get the colorframes back into the lights, or to replace a failed (burned-out) lamp?

It does sound as though the fixtures are upside-down. On asymmetric-reflector flood lights (sometimes called J-shaped reflector units) the lamp should be at the top of the reflector when lighting a cyc from the top.

proxy.php

Far Cycs > Fixtures > Theatrical Equipment > Commercial Lighting > All Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products
They brought me a huge ladder so I could change the gels but they won't let me touch the actual units, only maintenance men are allowed to. Those are the exact ones they have. So the little lip should be bottom as shown in the picture? I just want some to confirm my opinion :)

So I am right in saying they are upside down. They tried to tell me hey were hung by lighting people who knew what they were talking about so they couldn't be wrong. I can't really get paper work on it because its just the janitor here at the high school. I taped the **** out of them so they won't fall for our two dance shows, then I am taking all the frame sout and leaving a note.

You taped them??? Those instruments get very hot. Besides making a total mess of things, the tape may smoke. You don't want to smell that during the show or set off a smoke detector. If you have to use the cyc lights, you may want to wrap some bailing wire around them instead. You could even be creative with a few safety cables if you don't have bailing wire.

Last edited:
You taped them??? Those instruments get very hot. Besides making a total mess of things, the tape may smoke. You don't want to smell that during the show or set off a smoke detector. If you have to use the cyc lights, you may want to wrap some bailing wire around them instead. You could even be creative with a few safety cables if you don't have bailing wire.
Yeah. I know they get hot, but all they gave me was tape and said to deal with it. I used just a little bit on the edge. Luckily its only 2 shows an hour long. Then I'm taking the frames out completely. Will it burn that much if its only for one night? Definitely not working for this school again.

If the lights are truly upside down, then you can't possibly be lighting the cyc very well. I suppose people might give me flac for saying this, but just fix it. The school maintenance people will never know, you will have fixed a safety issue, and the units will be much more effective.

If the lights are truly upside down, then you can't possibly be lighting the cyc very well. I suppose people might give me flac for saying this, but just fix it. The school maintenance people will never know, you will have fixed a safety issue, and the units will be much more effective.
oh I would if I could. The maintenance man will only let me use the ladder when he is in the room and locks it up when he leaves. He claims liability issues... But dangerous falling gels dont count. And no the cyc could be lit a whole lot better. I was called in last minute as a favor for a friend or I would have fixed this issue from day one. Thanks for all the advice though :D

oh I would if I could. The maintenance man will only let me use the ladder when he is in the room and locks it up when he leaves. He claims liability issues... But dangerous falling gels dont count. And no the cyc could be lit a whole lot better. I was called in last minute as a favor for a friend or I would have fixed this issue from day one. Thanks for all the advice though :D

having dealt with the same instruments before, they are hung upside down, yes they will get hot enough to burn that tape in about 15 minutes if left on. Tell them a fire inspector could come in see a frame fall and shut down the entire theater for that alone.

Honestly, if this is your design tell the maintenance guy to go fly a kite. Spaces like these are not at all supposed to be run and operated by a janitorial staff who has, in all probability, the education of a high school drop out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back