colortran Leo?

tech_man

ok
i have a problem with a black box full of colortran leo's that a burning their gels in a mater of minuets. they all have 750 watt lamps in them and are tuned correctly. this is the max that the instrements can have and this is also waht came with the building.

It was late when i posted this and i have dislexia and dysgraphia. And to top it off i had a director brething down my neck, anyway didnt need the extra comments on my grammer.

Last edited:
ok
i have a problem with a black box full of colortran leo's that a burning thear gels in a mater of minets the a ther all tuned the right way so they have no hot spot but the continue to burn the there gels aney help (they have 750 watt laps with is as high as they go but thats what they gave us with the billding?
thisisarelativleynewunitandiwouldnotbesurprisediftherearesomeburninggelissuesatcertaindegreesettings
thiswascommonwiththesourcefourinthe26degeeunitsintheearlydays
Now that you've had the fun of trying to read my post, you understand how much fun it was trying to read yours, with it's attending lack of capitalization, punctuation and proper spelling. Remember that you leave an impression on other readers in each and every post you leave on a site.
I'm far from being an English major, barely graduating from high school, but can say that given all the errors in your writing style, I at first thought your spelling of "Leo" was also in error, perhaps meaning to be "Leko" and had to go and Google the name.
That's a waste of my time, and makes me inclined to not bother.
Given the gel issues on a very new model, this may well be an initial design flaw (as it was - if memory serves, with the S4's). Certainly contact the supplier as well as the manufacturer, thought the long term solution may only be color frame extenders.
Sorry in advance for jumping on you, I admit to be having a bad day at work.
SB

Ya...
A) The unit is new, and probably has issues with the reflector or optical/lens train...i've been kind skeptical of the LEO units for a while (they've been out for a year at least now)
B) I'd definitely say to try to get the lamps changed over to 575's, if possible.
C) Grammar/Spelling

woah.......... lighten up. bad grammar nor spelling, nor diction will lead to a suspension or social and societal norms. as Shakespeare said
'gaist death and all oblivious emnity
shall you pace forth, your praise shall still find room
even in teh eyes of all posterity
that wear this world out to the ending doom

Not that you have had the fun of trying to decode shakespeare realise that, you could have just not answered the question. you did answer teh question however, so clearly it was comprehensable enough to warrant a helpful response.
With that said, (and excuse my turgidity, lol) i think frame extenders are your only short term solution. however i you do 't have any, you can try poking lots of slits in you gels and getting some diffusion, or heat sheild material to try to prolong the life. (sounds like that won't help much...
also, if you don't have frame extenders, but you hvae top hats, go ahead, tape the gels on them... it may lack athestics, but its teh same thing. just watch out that you use a tape that wont permenantly fuse itself to the top hat.

No, sorry, the post was not clear due to poor grammar, lazy typing and no spell check.
I was actually ragged on last week in the LightNetwork for using the term FWIW, being called lazy. The critics post was all in non-capitalized letters, including the letter "i" in place of the word "I", failed to use punctuation, etc.. which made it pretty funny (who's being lazy), but this is usually stuff I have no problem with, as long as the post makes sense !, which tech_mans did not, thus the appropriate return comment. Remember that I did apologize in advance for being tired and cranky !.
SB

Ok, so yes, spelling, grammar, and all around english are nice.

Now that has been taken care of by enough people, on to your question.

I have no personal experience with these fixtures, but a quick google search makes me see them as a cheap Source4 rip off. Flat beam with no hot spots would be the first thing, but you said that is already not a problem.

Does this problem happen with one particular lens tube type, or with all of them? If it is a problem with one particular tube type, then the problem lies with how the fixture has been designed. Try a color extender to put the gel at a more diffused part of the beam.

Stepping lamp power down may help, but probably not all that much given what your telling. If gel was dieing in a matter of hours maybe, but if the gel fades in a matter of minutes, decreasing lamp wattage probably wouldn't help all that much.

Short of a color extender, use lighter (less saturated) colors in those fixtures. Or use a pounce wheel or something similar to make lots of little holes in the gel to allow heat to pass through easier.

Good luck,
Zac

WOW You know there are built in spell checkers in Explorer and in the posting software itself. There is a little Icon of ABC over the top of a check mark.You do, however, need to have a working knowledge of the english language to be able to correct things. I get some wierd typos sometimes when using my wifes laptop, or if I'm really in a hurry, typing a long reply. When a post is that short I would hope you have time to catch the thirty or so mistakes made in a 4 sentence post.

hey give us a break were teenagers (or i am at least) we only communicate in grunts and short monosylabic phrases linked together in un-enuciated speach.
:)

Being a teenager is no excuse. I still fall in to that category, but I try to maintain proper grammar and spelling...even when using instant messenger.

I apologize if I insulted anyone, but I'm what many call a "language preservationist," who wants the english language to stay intact and not destroyed by the internet. I don't admit to being perfect at the language, but I do go to dictionary.com every single time that I question the spelling of a word.

Last edited:
Ok, guys, yes, english is nice. Yes, we all know this. It is much nicer to read a sentence with correct grammar and spelling then "aim speak".

Having said that, lets move on. Be polite. Every single person here has posted at last one stupid question, no one jumped down your throat saying it was a stupid question and not helping you. This is a place to learn. He asked a legitimate question with some english errors. Big deal. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. You are not being forced to read his thread or forced to reply once you read it, so big deal.

Lets be nice, friendly, and nurturing.

Also, the internet is a world wide thing. For all we know english may not be his first language.

No, sorry, the post was not clear due to poor grammar, lazy typing and no spell check.
I was actually ragged on last week in the LightNetwork for using the term FWIW, being called lazy. The critics post was all in non-capitalized letters, including the letter "i" in place of the word "I", failed to use punctuation, etc.. which made it pretty funny (who's being lazy), but this is usually stuff I have no problem with, as long as the post makes sense !, which tech_mans did not, thus the appropriate return comment. Remember that I did apologize in advance for being tired and cranky !.
SB

Iwouldhopethatallofusaremoreforgivingthanthoseofthelightingnetworkforspelllingandpunctuation, thisgivenmanywon!thavemuchexperiencewithitorbeinsomecaseslazyandnottrainedenoughtogetintohabitofdoingatleastit sufficiently by habit.

Man, that was probably the hardest sentence I ever typed. By nature or training and typing class in high school, my hands have their proper keyboard positions and it's really hard to not space between words. In fact, mostly I had to backspace between letters. Of all theater classes - normally a "A", I frequently didn't do well in English. Back in grammer school, I often found it easier to write 80x for each misspelled word, while watching Barney Miller on TV than to learn the words for my spelling test. Relief - yep I did it as Rolaids on the spelling test. Over the years it or this semi-mastery of the language has gotten better, much less I'm well over the 26 words per minute I graduated typing class with, but still I'm not perfect either.

In my view, post as best you can. If you cannot post sufficient to be understood, edit later or expect that you won't get an answer. But do post away as best you can. Often even if not well posted, it's better to post a thought than to leave a hole in your thought on the subject.

Mocking others for doing so, na, cite at most but answer the question still. Accept that some master words, others perhaps master art. Very much a left and right side of the brain thing I believe between language and effort.

As for answer or response on my part, I agree with much posted and cite perhaps brand and saturation of the gel as a potential problem. Heat shield needs a gap between it and the gel, over abundance of oil based haze or fog can cause problems with gel and in geneal well seated, bench focused lamps and maintained fixtures could also cause problems. Beyond this, perhaps if searching for some balance between 575w and 750w in the GLA to GLD series, perhaps a EHG lamp would be a bit cooler. A less efficient filament might have a bit less of a focused beam of light upon the center of the gel. Could be a theory that the filament is just too efficient in the focused beam of light for the gel. A less efficient lamp could potentially solve the problem as a theory as with just turning the output down by 10%.

Last edited:
I would recommend that you buy a few Gel extenders. A gel extender basically goes in the front side of the fixture and leaves a gap between the front end of the fixture and the gel. They are usually either 6 inches or 12 inches in length. If this does not solve your problem, try using a GLA (575w) lamp instead of the 750, and while you use the GLA also use the gel extender, if that still doesn't help, it means that since it is an early model of a fixture, it probably has major hotspot issues even though it is in the correct focus.

I would recommend that you buy a few Gel extenders. A gel extender basically goes in the front side of the fixture and leaves a gap between the front end of the fixture and the gel. They are usually either 6 inches or 12 inches in length.
QUOTE]

FWIW, I have purchased in the last 6 months, 31 Souce 4 25/50 zoom ellipsoidals @ 750 watts. The big model.

Every unit casues gel burn thru when using saturated blues and greens. ETC says "Use a color frame extender".

City Theatrical makes a 3" long version that works quite well and run about $22 ea.

SB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back