Control/Dimming Colortran Prestige 3000

floydiac

Hi, I am new here. I do band lighting (mostly) and some theatrical productions, I am considering upgrading my board. And that is why I am here....I was wondering If a Colortran Prestige 300 is too advanced for what I am doing, or if I should get it?
Thanks much...

I think we need a little more information to help you. What is your venue like? How many dimmers do you have? Do you use any intelligent gear or moving lights? Might you in the future? What is your budget? If you can provide us with some info like that we can be more helpful. Also you might try a little search as we have had many recent threads on upgrading consoles.

Assuming you mean Colortran Prestige 3000, floydiac, I would say in some ways it's too advanced, and in other ways, not advanced enough. Also, the console was introduced about 1985 and discontinued around 1992. Finding working TTL/Monochrome or CGA/EGA monitors for it may be a problem. For live use, not being able to put chases on a submaster is a drawback. (I used to use the Effect "Test on Fader#4" feature a lot.)

It may speak only Colortran D192 protocol (CMX) and not DMX-512.

Chances are, there are more appropriate consoles available to you at a better price. Unless it's free, in which case, you have nothing to lose.
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/members/floydiac.html

Assuming you mean Colortran Prestige 3000, floydiac, I would say in some ways it's too advanced, and in other ways, not advanced enough. Also, the console was introduced about 1985 and discontinued around 1992. Finding working TTL/Monochrome or CGA/EGA monitors for it may be a problem. For live use, not being able to put chases on a submaster is a drawback. (I used to use the Effect "Test on Fader#4" feature a lot.)

It may speak only Colortran D192 protocol (CMX) and not DMX-512.

Chances are, there are more appropriate consoles available to you at a better price. Unless it's free, in which case, you have nothing to lose.
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/members/floydiac.html

well they want $150. but I think i have found a better one for me. as for budget, very limited. eventually i do plan to get intelligent lighting, and upgrades. right now i use anywhere from 3-5 dimmer packs. i mainly do band lighting, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back