Control/Dimming Colortran Prestige Help

Interested to know what eta/cga adapter worked the magic for you.
This Pi-based model from TexElec is the one I used, but it's based on an open-source project that can be put together for much cheaper (I'm just lazy). I had to fiddle with settings a bit to get proper display, but it was pretty much a plug-and-play experience otherwise. I also have a magical Extron box I've yet to try, but it's long since discontinued and I was lucky to stumble across it at about half of its normal used price.
RGBtoHDMI

I may be one of the few that would say I liked our Prestige consoles. We really never had issues with it, even though Colortran pulled the plug on OS fixes way too soon. It was a very sweet console to program, had nice ergonomics and buttons, the programming logic was Palette essentially, so easy to use. I also got a free Windows PC out of the designers programming unit when I could not get a real PC out of management. We went to Express following, it was a learning curve to learn that programming syntax and I missed the Prestige.

Last edited:
In college I was concurrently learning EOS, Express(ion) and..... Colortran via an Encore. It's been a while since I touched the Encore, but I distinctly remember having a preference for it over Express(ion) consoles. IIRC it was the keys (both feel and the access to different functions available on them), the FX engine, an actual command line, and the toggle for cue recording and updates between Tracking, Cue Only, and Clean Up (Block). That state toggle lead to some boos-boos on the first show I programmed it on (we were expecting a Cue-Only base of operation like an Express), but after getting used to it and coming to understand tracking and working in said mode on EOS family consoles I came to greatly appreciate being able to set it in that mode. We'd have kept going with the Encore if the memory didn't get more than a little goofy.

Though I was not around during the console's heyday I've gotten that sense from a number of colortran products I've interacted with. It is a bit of a shame that they pulled the plug on many of their products a bit too early, I certainly would love to see what they would be doing if they kept up with everyone else and were still in business.

On a related topic: it seems Leviton is dumping its entire NSI division now, all of the dealers I've talked to can't order anything and are clearing out all of their leftover stock.

Though I was not around during the console's heyday I've gotten that sense from a number of colortran products I've interacted with. It is a bit of a shame that they pulled the plug on many of their products a bit too early, I certainly would love to see what they would be doing if they kept up with everyone else and were still in business.

On a related topic: it seems Leviton is dumping its entire NSI division now, all of the dealers I've talked to can't order anything and are clearing out all of their leftover stock.

I don’t believe it was a choice on Colortrans part that they really wanted. As I recall, they paid David Cunningham for the software design and it seems they could or would not continue that relationship after a certain point. Thus and with no in house expertise, had to move on. They left a lot of customers with a bad taste, unfortunately. I thought it was too bad, I always liked C-Tran products. I had a Patchman that lived a long life. Their 1kw ellipsoidals were the best in the business, I had the wonderful zoom units. The D192 dimmers were rock solid units.

Somewhere I still have the loose-leaf Berkey Colortran binder (and maybe catalog pages) from 1974. Their dimmer packs were chosen for the first show at Universal Amphitheater (later Gibson), Jesus Christ Superstar with Jules Fischer designing.

I was just going to say, this conversation makes me want to flip through the Berkey Colortran binder that @SteveB left me here at his desk again, some quite lovely color brochures and information in there, from the early 80s to early 90s I believe. And our Status 12/24 is still going strong as the "recital" light console in our larger theater, I just need to feed it a new CMOS battery every couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back