Control/Dimming Colortran Take Control Module Information

dunkin

Hello everyone!

My name is David and I have been doing "technical theater" as a hobby since high school(approx 18 yrs.). I am an electrical engineer who likes to tinker with stuff. I currently help a community chorus that my wife participates in. We have the shows at a local high school. The school, as with others around the country, has to be very selective in where they spend their funds. They recently upgraded all of the rigging but not the lighting system.

**Start reading here for issue**
The current lighting system is a Colortran Dimension 192 with 48 dimmer modules installed. The system is currently cmx. I am in the process of purchasing a I/F 501-002 to convert the signal ( so I don't have to convince them to allow me to send the modules to litetrol). I am going to be using magicq in lieu of the old cmx console. My question is about the take control buttons in the light booth and on the stage for the house lights. These are the only means of operating the the house lights. On stage there is a panel box that is labeled take control. On the outside there is a red light and a "turkey is done" breaker. The breaker seems to be permanently tripped. It will not allow me to reset it. On the inside there are two module a "power supply" and a "Take Control Module"(see picture attached). The dimmer modules for the house lights are in the bottom rows of the d192 which I understand are special (analog maybe?).

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into this. I might just be a matter of replacing that "turkey is done" breaker. One other note. It appears that the school at one time the school replaced one light in each of the fixtures to operate on a push button at each door. These lights are those turn on and wait for them to warm up lights that seem to be on an independent system. I make this assumption because the take control buttons control the other bulbs in the fixtures that appear to be regular incandescent.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the information!
photo_panel.JPG

When you push in the breaker does it not reset or does it and then pop out after a slight delay? If it latches and releases there is probably an overcurrent situation present meaning something is drawing too much current, which could be a shorted transformer like that shown on the power supply board, a loose wire that somehow got crossed or touching the frame (although that's not evident in the photo), etc. If it doesn't latch at all it either means a direct short or a bad breaker.

Ok so I looked at it closer. It appears the breaker is functioning correctly. If I pull it out it shuts the device off. So it just looks tripped. I will post a photo later(replying from my phone). I found some other info
Part number 166-449
Drawing number70-90149-103

Is the power supply functioning and clean? It appears to be a regulated, linear supply. If it isn't happy, start by replacing the electrolytics.

Thanks for the information VCTMike! Those have a similar function but I don't think they are the same. I will have to take a picture of the devices. I will next time I am in the school. These look like they were apart of the original installation. They may function similarly.

Does anyone have any insight to the bottom 3 slots on each stack in the dimmer racks? It appears that they are on a different control system than the rest of the rack. If you look at Litetrol's website they hint to these being different but I am not sure if they can be controlled by the dmx.

Thanks

Thanks for the information VCTMike! Those have a similar function but I don't think they are the same. I will have to take a picture of the devices. I will next time I am in the school. These look like they were apart of the original installation. They may function similarly.

Does anyone have any insight to the bottom 3 slots on each stack in the dimmer racks? It appears that they are on a different control system than the rest of the rack. If you look at Litetrol's website they hint to these being different but I am not sure if they can be controlled by the dmx.

Thanks

Hi. Sorry I'm late to the party (way late). Even if this doesn't help the Original Poster, it may prove useful for someone searching for this information.

I used to work for Colortran back in the late 1980s.

The Take Control module does just that, lets you take control. Press the take control button on a wall station and only that wall station has power (so only that station can control the lights). It's kind of like the old "who pushed the button first?" circuit for a game show. The first contestant to push their button lights up their light and locks the other contestants out.

As for the D192 rack, the bottom three or four dimmers (I don't remember the exact number) in each column could be controlled by an analog signal as well as CMX (or DMX). This was so that an analog control panel could be used to control the house lights without having to turn ther board on in the booth. I'm not sure if they had to be one or the other, I think it could be both...

For anyone that tried to access the Leviton FTP site, the correct URLs are:

ftp.leviton.com/LevitonFTP-Public/LES/Library/Manuals/Manual - Remembrance.pdf
ftp.leviton.com/LevitonFTP-Pu...ets/Data Sheet - Remem Entry Panic G-7937.pdf
Posts 7 & 8 show "ftp" twice in the address--this won't work.
Both links as I posted above are working as of 9/17/14. Hope this helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back