The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Colortran Trivia

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by philhaney, Oct 2, 2008.

1. philhaney

philhaney CBMod CB Mods

How did Colortran get its name?

Yes, not only did I work there, but I've seen how the company got its name (big hint).

Oldtimers like [user]Steveterry[/user], [user]Derekleffew[/user], et al, are prohibited (or at least respectfully requested) from answering until Monday, October 6th. I'll post the answer if no one else has next Thursday, or at least confirm someone else's correct answer.

2. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

ColorTran Industries appears to have been founded ~1955.

Academy Awards® Awards for 1964
    Class III (Citation)
    * Milton Forman (ColorTran Industries)
    Richard B. Glickman (ColorTran Industries)
    Daniel J. Pearlman (ColorTran Industries)
    For advancements in the design and application to motion picture photography of lighting units using quartz iodine lamps.
    Source.

Interesting that "quartz iodine" (T/H, Tungsten-Halogen) lamps began in film studios, but weren't widely accepted on the stage until mid-1970s or later.

As a company, Colortran didn't get involved in theatre until the hiring of Joe Tawil in 1969, who later founded The Great American Market (GAM Products) in 1975.

edit: Once the question has been answered, this thread will be moved into the Theatre History - ControlBooth forum.

3. Pip

Pip Active Member

So... what's the answer? I'm very curious!

4. philhaney

philhaney CBMod CB Mods

Ok Folks,

The question "How did Colortran get its name?" is now open for anyone to respond to.

I'll post the answer on Thursday, the 16th of October.

Big Hint #2: When I worked there the name was "Colortran" (ok, "Lee Colortran" actually, but that's a different story), but when the company was founded the name was "ColorTran."

Thanks are due to [user]derekleffew[/user] for pointing out our 1964 Academy Award for advancements in the design and application to motion picture photography of lighting units using quartz iodine lamps.

In 1986, one year before I was hired, we got our second Academy Award for developing a flicker-free HMI lighting system. Since we were owned by the Lee brothers at that time (we were Lee Colortran then) the award went to Lee Electric (Lighting) Ltd. Here's the source. Scroll down the list on the left side of your screen and click on 1986.

5. philhaney

philhaney CBMod CB Mods

Ok, the answer is contained in a black cube approximately nine inches on a side. There is a six foot ac cord with Edison plug coming out the back, that plugs into your wall outlet. There is an Edison receptacle on the front that you plug your instrument into. The top has a big black knob with a tick mark on it, and it rotates around a scale graduated in degrees Kelvin.

Built for the still photographic industry, the Color Transformer allowed a photographer to vary the color temperature of his floods.

When the company was formed, the name was shortened to ColorTran. And the rest, as they say, is history..... ;)

6. Pip

Pip Active Member

Ahhh... Awesome! Thanks for the info :)

7. STEVETERRY

STEVETERRY Well-Known Member

Now, the next question for all of you: how did the box regulate the color temperature of the lamp?

ST

8. derekleffew

Various densities of Color Temperature Orange and/or Color Temperature Blue correction media? (I'm just not sure how the box held them in front of the light.:rolleyes:)

9. STEVETERRY

STEVETERRY Well-Known Member

Err..nice try...and actually, perhaps a better idea!!!

It was an autotransformer in the box that raised and lowered the voltage to the fixture by a few volts, with a corresponding increase or decrease in Color Temperature.

Discussion of lamp life was conveniently omitted.

Seems kinda dumb now, but it got them an award!

ST

10. derekleffew

I don't think ColorTran Industries won any awards for that, but it did launch the company.

The collaborative Article http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/collaborative-articles/7664-mathematical-formulas-lighting.html lists the formula: coltemp/COLTEMP = (volts/VOLTS)^0.42.

Given a lamp with a color temperature of 3200K at 120V,
    at 108V (~90%), CT will be ~3061K,
    at 132V (~110%), CT will be ~3331K.

One might assume the original ColorTran(sformer) box was calibrated around 2900K, the most common color temperature of an incandescent stage/studio lamp.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  11. derekleffew

I wonder if this is similar to the device [user]philhaney[/user] discusses above?
    [​IMG]
    http://s347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/derekleffew/?action=view&current=ColorTran.jpg

From the item's description:
    I wonder where the seller got ColorTran from?

See also this thread: colortran historical piece - ControlBooth.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  12. DrPinto

DrPinto Active Member

13. Les

Les Well-Known Member

Wow, for $24.99, that's just a cool-looking box that every guy (and girl) needs to have. I mean, who doesn't like the look of a good, old-fashioned hammertone mystery box with louvered vents and a round gauge on the front? I guess I just like having things around that not many people know how to use :) . Kind of like my variac. Just one big ole knob. Couldn't be more simple, yet eludes so many.

14. Theresa

Theresa Member

This is slightly off subject but I made myself a tripod reading lamp out of an antique surveyor's tripod and a Color Tran Cine King. I rewired it to take a standard flood bulb and will add a fresnel lens to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

derekleffew and (deleted member) like this.
  15. shiben

shiben Well-Known Member

Lighting Technician (Tour)
    And if you spent less than 50 bucks, you saved yourself from getting a POS from China at the big box hardware! If ya spent more than 50 bucks, you got a far nicer looking setup, but spent more than a CPOS sells for. Looks pretty nice!

16. Theresa

Theresa Member

I spent less than $50. I've seen similar lamps in high end catalogs for $300 - $500.

17. shiben

shiben Well-Known Member

If it was less than 25 bucks I would get it and see how it works.

18. shiben

shiben Well-Known Member

Looks good!

19. derekleffew

Thanks for posting, [user]Theresa[/user]. I never knew there WAS a Cine King. Most know of the CineQueen as the inspiration behind the Altman PAR can (see the wiki link for further history). Now I wonder if there was a Cine Prince?;) What lamp does the CineKing take?

20. Theresa

Theresa Member

Hmm - I don't know much about lighting - it was a huge 500 watt bulb that had a lens type front face. The adapter base was ceramic of some sort but it was broken and the bulb made rattle-y noises so I tossed both of those pieces!

What does "Convertible Key" mean?

I found a couple of references to the Cine King http://books.google.com/books?id=dS...X&ei=BV8wT5OtHemmsQLStYj9Cg&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBDgK

http://books.google.com/books?id=N3...a=X&ei=YF8wT6swprOwArXlvJUO&ved=0CEUQ6AEwAzgU

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012