Comms Cable Question

IsaacB

I use an Audiocom system in which the Master Station and remote units are connected with 6-pin Neutrik-style XLR Cables. I need to source some more cables, but the pricing on the RTS-manufactured cables is outrageous...$139 for a 25-ft and $211 for a 50-ft. Best-Tronics Pro Audio (btpa.com) sells 6-pin XLR cables for $31.50 plus $0.58 per foot, which ends up being much cheaper than the RTS cables. They use Neutrik ends with CA-0376 cable. (A spec sheet for CA-0376 can be found here: http://btpa.com/pdf/CA-0376.pdf).

I have two questions about these cables:
1. Does anyone have experience using these with their system?
2. If not, is the CA-0376 cable sufficient for use with an Audiocom system?

Thanks,
IB

This cable & assembly should work without problems.

Did you contact Best Tronics and ask them about your specific equipment and application?

"Go right to the source and ask the horse, he'll give you the answer that you'll endorse.." Mister Ed TV show theme....

I use an Audiocom system in which the Master Station and remote units are connected with 6-pin Neutrik-style XLR Cables. I need to source some more cables, but the pricing on the RTS-manufactured cables is outrageous...$139 for a 25-ft and $211 for a 50-ft. Best-Tronics Pro Audio (btpa.com) sells 6-pin XLR cables for $31.50 plus $0.58 per foot, which ends up being much cheaper than the RTS cables. They use Neutrik ends with CA-0376 cable. (A spec sheet for CA-0376 can be found here: http://btpa.com/pdf/CA-0376.pdf).

I have two questions about these cables:
1. Does anyone have experience using these with their system?
2. If not, is the CA-0376 cable sufficient for use with an Audiocom system?

Thanks,
IB
@IsaacB you sound like you're aware of this but just in case: 6 contact 'XLR style' connectors are manufactured and sold in two NON-INTERMATEABLE pin-outs. Every manufacturer's 3, 4, 5 and 7 contact models are compatible and intermateable but not all 6 contact variants are intermateable. Cannon (I believe) developed the connectors and Switchcraft came along with their non-intermateable 6 contact which Clear-Com went with and popularized. When Neutrik got into the game they wisely chose to offer their 6 contact models in two distinctly different versions with models compatible with both existing pin-outs.
The bottom line / take away here is when you're purchasing 6 contact 'XLR style' connectors BE CERTAIN you're specifying / ordering / pricing and purchasing the correct connectors you require.
Sorry! I'm not at all familiar with your Audiocom system.
EDIT: Caught a spelling error.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
I don't know if it will make a difference but Telex calls for 3 twisted pairs for this.
Audiocomwiring.PNG

The cable linked in the OP doesn't seem to be twisted pairs. Also notice that Pin 2 is not connected above.
EDIT: If it's any consolation the Telex 2 channel cable is cheaper that the ClearCom 2 channel.

Last edited:
I don't know if it will make a difference but Telex calls for 3 twisted pairs for this.
View attachment 14411
The cable linked in the OP doesn't seem to be twisted pairs. Also notice that Pin 2 is not connected above.
EDIT: If it's any consolation the Telex 2 channel cable is cheaper that the ClearCom 2 channel.
With reference to your connection diagram, how odd to have an overall shield and not connect it to any of the contacts.
You mention the shield as "Earth ground" yet don't appear to connect it electrically at either end.
Am I misreading your drawing? Possibly you're implying the shield is to be electrically connected to the connector's shell at either end? Do note when you're saying Neutrik, not compatible with Switchcraft, that Neutrik does offer their six contact "XLR style" connectors both ways.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back