Outboard Gear Company: Finding the right vocal effect?

molsen23

Hello braintrust.

We are in the process of starting the musical Company, in the opening number (on the OBC album) the vocals are for lack of a better work "angelic" and monotone. Youtube it if you're not sure what I'm referring to.

What/ if any vocal effects were used to create this effect and what can be used to AIDE in creating this effect?

We have access to a behringer FX2000 and a Yamaha MGP32x.

Thank you in advance

Hello braintrust.

We are in the process of starting the musical Company, in the opening number (on the OBC album) the vocals are for lack of a better work "angelic" and monotone. Youtube it if you're not sure what I'm referring to.

What/ if any vocal effects were used to create this effect and what can be used to AIDE in creating this effect?

We have access to a behringer FX2000 and a Yamaha MGP32x.

Thank you in advance

I've not heard the OBC recording in years but recently heard the largely faithful-to-the-score 2006 John Doyle reviva. The opening number where it's the first hearing of "Bobby Booby"... big dense reverb with a medium decay, the vocals were very compressed, too. In the Broadway production it was a playback cue of cast recording. You can get the idea here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mostly what gives it the "shake" is the chord voicings chosen by Mr. Sondheim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back