Company Switch Tripping/Seachanger Personality File

Howdy y'all,

So I have this company switch that trips immediately when I turn it on. I have no idea why, everything appears fine, maybe somebody else has seen this happen before. And just for reference its a brand new Lex Powergate 100 company switch.

And on a completely unrelated note, I also have seachangers running on an express 48/96 and am having difficulty locating the personality for the offline editor so I can patch them in, any help?

Thanks,
A young electrician

Howdy y'all,

So I have this company switch that trips immediately when I turn it on. I have no idea why, everything appears fine, maybe somebody else has seen this happen before. And just for reference its a brand new Lex Powergate 100 company switch.

And on a completely unrelated note, I also have seachangers running on an express 48/96 and am having difficulty locating the personality for the offline editor so I can patch them in, any help?

Thanks,
A young electrician

Who hooked up the switch, was it done by a licensed electrician? what is connected to the switch?

Unfortunately no, I haven't worked with seachangers at all glad it was as simple fix. and hey at least you know it works correctly :D

Lessons learned today: Read the manual.
Less nice people than (most of) us might use the phrase "RTFM.";)

As for the company switch, the first thing I thought of was, does it have some sort of safety interlock?

As to the SeaChanger personality for Expression3/Express, see Programming Moving Lights on an ETC Express(ion) - ControlBooth . If there's not a profile file here, and you can't/don't want to build your own using Expression Personality Editor, starksk and/or his cohorts in ETC Service would be happy to whip one up for you, but you must provide them with the exact DMX map matching your hardware, and in many cases, which DMX mode you desire. I believe minimally there are two SeaChanger varieties: With and Without ExtremeGreen. Then other options after that.

EDITORIAL: I often admonish users for starting a new thread covering an existing topic, which leads to multiple threads. In this case, in a conservation effort, combining two unrelated topics into one thread is the other extreme.:)
In any case, welcome to the booth, and I hope we've helped.

Last edited:
Pretty sure ETC stopped updating Express(ion) personality library looong before Seachangers even existed. Creating a personality is really easy though. The theater I currently program at has about 100 Seachangers, so I know them well. What model do you use?

I must also say that, on an Express, you are not going to gain any functionality by fixture patching a color changer. I would just patch them as normal dimmers...But if you really want it, I would whip up a personality for you.

-Tim

... I must also say that, on an Express, you are not going to gain any functionality by fixture patching a color changer. I would just patch them as normal dimmers...
I've never used a Seachanger in my life, and
it's been at least ten years since I used an Exp w/ MLs,
but, I'd say that having the color attributes be LTP is a nice perk, as is, on the Exp3, having the five encoders control the CMY flags. Plus focus point s, the [Only] key, and all that other good stuff. Otherwise, just use an ExpressionI, which I used to do in 1993 and prior.

Try the Opti5ch.prs it is a RGB but you will be able to edit it to get what you want. otherwise a generic 4 channel dmx personality will work.

CB won't let me attach it, but you should be able find it at ETC otherwise PM me and i will email it.

I've never used a Seachanger in my life, and
it's been at least ten years since I used an Exp w/ MLs,
but, I'd say that having the color attributes be LTP is a nice perk, as is, on the Exp3, having the five encoders control the CMY flags. Plus focus point s, the [Only] key, and all that other good stuff. Otherwise, just use an ExpressionI, which I used to do in 1993 and prior.

You can make the channels LTP without using the fixture patch (which is what I would do, just like scrollers) and he has an Express, not an Expression, so no encoders, and focus points has nothing to do with fixture patch, he can use those as well.

Point being, you'll likely need a custom profile, created by you or someone else, along with a floppy drive on your computer to load it into a show file, if you wish to have it as a fixture. Otherwise patch the DMX channels into standard channels and some editing in settings to get the best mileage out of them.

As has been covered before, you can create your own custom personality using Expression Personality Editor or just adjust the attributes of the channels to be LTP.

Personally, other than labeling, I don't think that there is much to gain with color changing fixtures having their own personality. I would simply edit the channels to be LTP in the Channel Attributes setup.

To do this:
[Setup] - Opens Setup
[1][1] [Enter] - Selects Channel Attributes
Channel # [S6]({LTP}) [1] [Enter] - Sets the selected channel to LTP, repeat as necessary.
[Stage] - To go on with the show

The biggest gain in my book for color changes is the ability to flag the channels as independent of the grandmaster. Being able to dim the rig and not get a rainbow effect from the color changers is very useful.

Good Morning

Another reason is the ableity to grab multiple color changers at a time & adjust them to the same color.
If you have 10-12 fixtures to work with that could become a pain.

The biggest gain in my book for color changes is the ability to flag the channels as independent of the grandmaster. Being able to dim the rig and not get a rainbow effect from the color changers is very useful.
As we've covered multiple times now in this thread, you can do that do any channel, it doesn't need to use the fixture patch. (LTP, Independent, 16-bit, etc.)

Another reason is the ableity to grab multiple color changers at a time & adjust them to the same color.
If you have 10-12 fixtures to work with that could become a pain.
This is the first real good reason, I think, that has come up in this thread to ever use a fixture patch for a color changer on the Express. However, you could just as easily accomplish it with groups and focus points. To each his own. It is just a matter of preference.

There's been a lot of talk with little feedback from the OP. Would you still like a SeaChanger Personality? If so, you have to let us know what model you are using.

-Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back