Compliments are nice

jyenish

More often than not we as technicians and designers blow off alot of steam about not being understood or dealing with various issues. Occassionaly it is both nice and reaferming to get a compliment.

Today I sat with the director of my current show (Everyman). We spent a few hours creating the rough cues for the show. At the end of the afternoon he turned to me and said "I love working with you. Its great to see you work." I asked him what he meant, by his compliment and he replied, "I forget your a designer too. Whatching you program the cues was like watching a painter paint. You added color and texture and created some beautiful images on the stage."

Its nice to take a moment out of our gear head lives and realize that yes we are designers. We are artists of light. We compose our pictures with color, shadow, texture and direction.

I thought it was nice that my director acknowledged that, rather than taking it for granted.

If you have had an experience like that, please share it, we can have a little antithises to the punching bag.

jyenish said:
More often than not we as technicians and designers blow off alot of steam about not being understood or dealing with various issues. Occassionaly it is both nice and reaferming to get a compliment.

Today I sat with the director of my current show (Everyman). We spent a few hours creating the rough cues for the show. At the end of the afternoon he turned to me and said "I love working with you. Its great to see you work." I asked him what he meant, by his compliment and he replied, "I forget your a designer too. Whatching you program the cues was like watching a painter paint. You added color and texture and created some beautiful images on the stage."

Its nice to take a moment out of our gear head lives and realize that yes we are designers. We are artists of light. We compose our pictures with color, shadow, texture and direction.

I thought it was nice that my director acknowledged that, rather than taking it for granted.

If you have had an experience like that, please share it, we can have a little antithises to the punching bag.

you need to read your Robbert Edmond Jones (google it if you dont know who that his and buy his book)

how very true it is nice to hear compliments once and a while form some one and it is just the best feeling when actors say it cuz well you would know if it has happend to you lol

Yes...compliments are esp. nice from actors. But the best feeling is when somehow you as sound tech get blamed for everything from the director (including rigging and light problems?!) and you get most of the cast saying you did a darn good job after the alst preformance.

saxman0317 said:
Yes...compliments are esp. nice from actors. But the best feeling is when somehow you as sound tech get blamed for everything from the director (including rigging and light problems?!) and you get most of the cast saying you did a darn good job after the alst preformance.

If you are in a small enough theatre company it can actually be true.

saxman0317 said:

well that is because they dont know it was you that screewd up now do they lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back