Outboard Gear Computer-based Effects Processor

Hey Everyone,

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked/answered but i can not find it anywhere on hear.

So basally i am looking a a piece of software i can install on my Mac or Windows Based PC that is the same as an effects processor unit you can buy. In other words, i want to be able to send the signal from my board to my laptop then back to by board again with the effect that i have selected/edited on my computer.

Im really sorry if this sound dumb or you dont get what i mean, just post back and i can give you more information and/or describe what i am looking for better.

Thankyou
Ricky

Hey Everyone,

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked/answered but i can not find it anywhere on hear.

So basally i am looking a a piece of software i can install on my Mac or Windows Based PC that is the same as an effects processor unit you can buy. In other words, i want to be able to send the signal from my board to my laptop then back to by board again with the effect that i have selected/edited on my computer.

Im really sorry if this sound dumb or you dont get what i mean, just post back and i can give you more information and/or describe what i am looking for better.

Thankyou
Ricky

You are probably going to want to use an USB or firewire interface with this but other than that there are many options that do this ranging from free VST hosts to Apple's Mainstage to Waves Multirack. What, if anything, is your budget and do you have specific plugins you want to run? Do you want more than a single stereo processor? This isn't always a practical or more affordable alternative to a decent mid-level outboard FX processor.

One problem you'll encounter with low end computers and interfaces (and software) is the built-in latency, even just with the "listen" feature. Great if you always want at least ~100ms delay Ꭵn your FX, but very limiting otherwise.

Check out ableton live (http://www.ableton.com/), I've work with some people that have used it with good success for exactly what your describing. Me I don't trust computers for anything more than sfx playback, but to each their own.

It's doable, but it is worth it? Short answer: no, don't bother. Reliability, consistency, price, and latency are all reason why not to. I've got a hunch that you don't have the budget to do this in a way that you'll have reliability on your side.

Simple solution: Buy an FX processor, aka, do it the correct way. I have 2 Lexicon MX400's that go in and out of my A-rig, you might want to look at the MX300 (the baby-brother).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back