The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Computer Based Lighting Control

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by LDSFX, Jan 20, 2006.

1. LDSFX

LDSFX Member

It looks like I may be going to Oregon this summer to work at a newly-renovated "jewel-box" theatre. However, from what I hear the lighting system is definitely not up to par, so rather than bringing up a memory console in a road case on a plane, can anyone reccomend a good computer-based/USB dongle control system? Preferably, is there one available for Mac?

Thanks!

-Nick

2. moojoe

moojoe Active Member

ive never heard of one for mac.
    this topic comes up all the time, do a search.

3. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stagehand/ Production Company Owner
  4. jfitzpat

jfitzpat Member

A number of users are running us under Virtual PC on Macs. I also know that Jands announced that they would be doing a native Mac version of their PC product a few months ago, but I haven't seen anything but the early Windows beta.

-jjf

5. tjbaudio

tjbaudio Member

For mac I have seen the LanBox-LCX. I am thinking of getting one for out school. I have not read enough about it though. I am looking for user reviews. It looks like it is a very powerful unit. Lots of options for connection. Any one here use it?

6. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    I've used the Horizon a couple of times at a dance studio. It's a slick system with easy to use software. One cool thing about it is it has optional add on wing pannel, so that you can add submaster sliders onto it. I programed some chase sequences and it was a little weird at first but once I figured it out it was really easy. I think it's a couple thousand bucks so the other examples listed above are a lot more reasonable.

Horizon's website is: http://www.horizoncontrol.com

7. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

I have used the lan box and its a nice piece of gear... it programs pretty slow because you have to input using the mouse/keyboard but for what it is its not to bad... you can download the software for free.... that fact it uses TCP/IP is a big seller for me... also you can use a palm (NOT pocket pc) is an added feature if you have one with 802.11.... for a grab and go operation its the way to go....