Control/Dimming Computer DMX and Portable Dimmers problem

Aquarius

Hi all,

So, we've got a dance concert in a found space coming up pretty soon at my high school, and we're having problems with our portable dimmers.

Basically, I've got 4 dimmer packs set up to control 16 500w fresnels, two of which are older models of the Elation DP-DMX20L, and two of which are brand new NSI / Leviton DDS5600s. I'm using a MacBook pro running miniStageConsole and the Enttec USB DMX Pro (converted to 3-pin XLR) to control the dimmer packs. It works beautifully with the two Elation packs, but the Levitons are giving us a buttload of problems.

First off, it turned out that they only run on LSI's 5-pin multiplex or 3-pin microplex systems, not 3-pin XLR DMX like we thought. So, we ordered LSI's adapter kit for changing the 3-pin microplex to 5-pin DMX (NSI OPT 5512). This conversion kit came with two 5-pin jacks (1 male, 1 female) for the inputs and a little microprocessor chip for inside the dimmer pack. There was no instruction manual, but I'm pretty good with electronics, so I installed everything the way it should be with the microprocessor inserted the correct way and the 2 DMX ports connected properly. However, when we plug the Enttec into the LSI dimmers, despite the "MPX" light turning on to indicate a signal, they won't actually power any of the dimmers. If we unplug the XLR and turn dipswitch 8 on (test mode), there is power to all 8 of the outlets.

I'm really confused as to what the problem is, as it works great with our older Elation dimmers, but these LSIs are just really not behaving. Any thoughts as to what the problem is?

Are you sure the Leviton packs are addressed properly? Their dip switch settings are different. They can only be address in 4 channel blocks, instead of starting at any channel like most other DMX devices. Check the manual for the correct settings if you need to.

I don't know anything about converting them to DMX. Our DDS5600 packs came with DMX already so I can't give you any troubleshooting ideas there.

Yep, they're addressed correctly. I downloaded the instruction manual to double check, and it says that if switches 1-7 are off, then it starts at dimmer 1.

Thanks, though.

What's the mystery converter box? I have used the DMX-tools one, but they come with easy to read instructions so I doubt that is what you have.

Last edited:
What's the mystery converter box? I have used (and sell) the DMX-tools one, but they come with easy to read instructions so I doubt that is what you have.

If i'm reading the OP correctly, it's not a converter box, it's an option that can be installed on the dimmer pack to change it over to or add dmx capability. I looked into installing this on the microplex stuff that I have at my previous church. I ended up going with an IF501 protocol converter instead.

Yep, the conversion kit was a set of ports and a microprocessor that you installed in the dimmers themselves.

Any other guesses?

CAll Leviton ans see what they have. It is probably something stupid when you installed the chips. When I say stupid I mean simple, a wrong conection or similar easy thing.

That would be my suggestion as well, call Leviton. I'm not sure what their customer service is like these days, but the NSI folks were great when I needed to talk to somebody. Granted that was years ago before Leviton bought NSI.

A side note - the DMX20L is rated at 15A max, and if the Leviton is model DDS 5600-15, 1800W max, so don't run all 4 fresnels on a pack at once.

An update:

We gave up and called the Leviton folks today, and the only piece of advice they could offer is that sometimes wires 2 and 3 are switched on the adapters they send. Talk about poor quality control. Anyway, we tried switching 2 and 3 on one of the adapters to see what happened. When we plugged it into our ETC 24/48 Express, it just instantly put all the channels to full, regardless of DMX input. When we plugged it into the laptop, however, it did the exact same thing as before. So no help there.

We're looking into renting a few dimmer packs, as tech weekend is TOMORROW and I've only designed the lights so far based on the 6 fresnels I have working. It sucks.

Hopefully we'll find some sort of solution.

To clarify: what they shipped us was a pair of 5 pin DMX sockets. To install them, we took out the three pin microplex sockets and put in the DMX ones, albeit plugging the DMX into a different place from where the microplex plugged in on the circuit board.

Are there any DIP switches or jumpers on the circuit board itself inside the unit besides the address ones?? I have seen this on some dimmer packs and systems to change settings such as non-dim mode, etc, you may need to activate the dmx function via this method.

Are there any DIP switches or jumpers on the circuit board itself inside the unit besides the address ones?? I have seen this on some dimmer packs and systems to change settings such as non-dim mode, etc, you may need to activate the dmx function via this method.

I just converted some DDS5600 packs to DMX and had exactly the same problem.

There are no links or jumpers to change on the board.

The chip you install into the U9 socket is a RS485 transceiver chip the ADM485 from Analog Devices if you buy the kit but a SN75176 chip also works.

Anyway the problem I had was the Data + lead in the board connector was swapped with the Data- lead.

The way to make sure this is correct irequires a multimeter.

1) Make sure the dimmer is unplugged from the mains supply and the DMX signal is also unplugged.

2) Set your DMM to the lowest resistance range.

i3) install the connector onto the board not pin 1 on the JP2 and JP3 connectors is the pin closest to the transformer - it is possible to install these connector the wrong way. Note Pin 1 of JP2 and JP3 should go to pin 7 of U( and Pin 2 of JP2 and JP3 should go to Pin 6 of U9.

4) touch one of the DMM test probes onto pin 6 of the IC you installed and the other test probe to Pin 3 of the 5pin XLR you should measure 0 ohms - if not the wiring is incorrect. Repeat for pin 7 of the IC which should connect to pin 2 of the 5 pin XLR. If the wiring is incorrect then you need to correct the error.

When the wiring is correct the and a DMX signal is applied to the dimmer pack the MPX light will now illuminate to show that DMX is present. Relabel this LED and the connectors to show this is now a DMX pack.

PM me if you need further help

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! I'll take a look at the wiring today. Note that the MPX light does come on when we plug the SMX in. Does this mean that the wiring is correct as it is and something else I wrong,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back